Sources from New York have stated that a high ranking Bangladeshi diplomat based in New York, accused of forcing his servant to work for up to 18 hours a day without pay, was charged on Monday with labor trafficking and assault. Shahedul Islam, Bangladesh’s Deputy Consul General in New York, faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted.
It was stated that for his bail, which was set at $50,000 bond or $25,000 cash, Bangladesh’s Consul General in New York Shameem Ahsan, other colleagues and relatives arranged a $50,000 bond. But it will take a day for him to be released.
Meanwhile Shahedul, 45, brought another Bangladeshi, Mohammed Amin, to the
United States between 2012 and 2013 to work for his family in Queens as a
household helper, an arrangement common among South Asian diplomats.
Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said in a statement that “Soon after Mr. Amin’s arrival, the defendant allegedly took his passport and required the man to work 18 hours a day. Even though Mr. Amin had a contract which outlines his compensation, it is alleged he was never paid for his work". Shahedul has limited diplomatic immunity and was ordered to surrender his passport when he appeared before Queens Supreme Court Justice Daniel Lewis, Brown said in a statement.
US' EB5 visa scheme extended till December 22 According to sources Anuj Patel, MD at LD Capital Bridge, a US-based commercial lending firm said US EB5 Visa scheme was introduced by the US Congress in 1990, the EB5 visa programme allows an individual to invest $500,000 in either of two Targeted Employment Areas (TEAs) a high unemployment area
- Microsoft campus to get superb cricket field
- Less Focus on H1-B Visas says USA Ambassador - Will it impact on Indian companies?
- Indian American couple contributed $1 Million for Indian Fund
- US Navy veteran charged with killing an Indian engineer has pleaded not guilty
- The number of Indian students pursuing in USA are increased 2x times - Report says!
- Adopted 3 year girl found dead in ditch with injuries
- Term of Indian Ambassador to the US Navtej Sarna been extended
- Indian father shot while protecting son from robbers
- Miss World 2017 Crown by Indian Manushi Chhillar
- Teenager cum Student killed in a Road accident
- Indian American Sikh elected New Jersey Town Mayor
- Manisha Singh won Senate approval to be Assistant Secretary of State
- Indian re-arrested following completion of ten year sentence
- Can this iPhone based Ultrasound Machine detect Cancer??
- H1B and L1 Visas issue taken up by IT Professionals