Several special rituals take place on the day of Ashtami, like the famous 'Astra Puja', which is a custom to worship Goddess Durga's weapons with which she defeated the powerful buffalo demon Mahisasura.
is said that it was on the day of Ashtami, after a long drawn battle between
Goddess Durga and Mahishasura, Goddess Kali appeared from Durga's forehead to
annihilate Mahishasura's demons Chanda, Munda and Rakthabija. Therefore on this
day, Ashta Nayikas, or the eight forms or incarnations of shakti together forming the divine power are
worshiped in the form of Durga.
Another common ritual
followed across the country is that of Kanya pooja or Kanjak. In Kanjak or Kanya Puja, nine girls are welcomed
into the house by first washing their feet and then tying moli (red thread) around
their wrists. These girls are seated in a line and given halwa, poori and chole (also known
as 'bhog') along with all kinds of gifts: pencil boxes, hair clips, clothes etc.
Todays Darshan Details of Lord Balaji at Tirumala Todays Darshan Details of Lord Balaji at Tirumala Todays Darshan Details of Lord Balaji TOTAL PILGRIMS HAD DARSHAN AS ON 08-12-2017:66,201. Vaikuntam Que Complex: SITUATION AT 5.00 AM ON 09-12-2017 NO.OF COMPARTMENTS WAITING IN VQC-II: 02, APPROXIMATE TIME FOR SARVA DARSHAN: 03 TO 04 HOURS,
- Importance of Tamil month Margazhi
- Praying God at Brahmamuhurtha will give all powers and Energy
- Significance of Amavasya festival in Hinduism
- Hindi God as Guru is Dakshinamurthy for all types of knowledge
- Why we should visit temple frequently?
- Science behind wearing Mangalsutra
- Story about broken tusk of Ganesha
- Worshiping Hindu God's Day wise is special
- Lesser known facts about Goddess Saraswathi
- How to Meditate: Simple Meditation for Beginners
- Is Shani God your Friend or Foe?
- Do you know about auspicious Tamil Month Karthigai?
- Krishna Janmashtami special Importance
- How to lead a Better than, than Bitter life?
- Aippasi, Tamil month full of Festivals and Weddings