Several special rituals take place on the day of Ashtami, like the famous 'Astra Puja', which is a custom to worship Goddess Durga's weapons with which she defeated the powerful buffalo demon Mahisasura.
is said that it was on the day of Ashtami, after a long drawn battle between
Goddess Durga and Mahishasura, Goddess Kali appeared from Durga's forehead to
annihilate Mahishasura's demons Chanda, Munda and Rakthabija. Therefore on this
day, Ashta Nayikas, or the eight forms or incarnations of shakti together forming the divine power are
worshiped in the form of Durga.
Another common ritual
followed across the country is that of Kanya pooja or Kanjak. In Kanjak or Kanya Puja, nine girls are welcomed
into the house by first washing their feet and then tying moli (red thread) around
their wrists. These girls are seated in a line and given halwa, poori and chole (also known
as 'bhog') along with all kinds of gifts: pencil boxes, hair clips, clothes etc.
Follow these simple tips for a Happy and Safe Diwali An adult should always supervise the use of fireworks by children. Check the area before igniting fireworks to ensure that all inflammable and combustible materials are removed. Follow all safety precautions issued with the fireworks. Use an incense stick to ignite fireworks. They provide a greater and safer distance between your hands and the fireworks. Keep two buckets full of water handy.
- The Festival of Lights - All the Joy and the Happiness!
- What's the Spiritual Significance of Diwali??
- Diwali - Lighting of our internal with celebrating spiritual wealth
- Lesser known facts about Goddess Saraswathi
- Shiva and Shakti the Consciousness and Energy
- Famous South Indian Temples which every Indian should visit
- Why Lord Balaji's eyes covered??
- Hindu God Dhakshinamurthy for Wealth and Prosperity
- ONLINE QUOTA OF ARJITHA SEVA TICKETS RELEASED
- All you need to know about The History of #ValmikiJayanti
- Scientific reasons behind wearing toe rings
- Significance of Durga Ashtami 2017
- Home without Tulsi plant is incomplete
- Worshiping Hindu God's Day wise is special
- Shirdi airport set for take-off on October 1, three airlines to begin ops