Valmiki Jayanti is being observed on 5th of October every year. Adi Kavi Maharishi Valmiki is the first Sanskrit Poet in India and he is the great author of 'Ramayana'. Ramayana consists of 24000 verses and 7 cantos. Most of the Hindus firmly believe that Valmiki existed in the same era as Lord Rama.
As per Hindu Lunar calendar, his Jayanti is celebrated on the full moon night in the Hindu month of Ashwina. Ramayana is one of the great epics which is recited by devotees. Valmiki was a highway dacoit in his early stages and then he changed his path after becoming a devotee of Lord Rama.
Now, his birth anniversary is celebrated as Valmiki Jayanti. Devotees will decorate Maharishi Valmiki's temples with flowers and light with deepams. The biggest temple for Valmiki is in Chennai at Tiruvanmiyur. It is 1300 years old and the area itself is called as Valmiki Nagar. There are several preachings of Valmiki and every one of them teaches us devotion and dedication.
Do you know about Sabarimala Vratham? Vratham is the word for fasting. Fasting is not only about refraining from eating certain food but also about control over many other activities. During these days, devotees eat only vegetarian food. Accordingly the person going to Sabarimala should take bath twice a day.
- Worshiping Lord Shiva the Lord of Power gives us energy
- Among all 12 Months, God resides in the month of Margazhi
- Todays Darshan Details of Lord Balaji at Tirumala
- Importance of Tamil month Margazhi
- Praying God at Brahmamuhurtha will give all powers and Energy
- Significance of Amavasya festival in Hinduism
- Hindi God as Guru is Dakshinamurthy for all types of knowledge
- Why we should visit temple frequently?