New Delhi sources have stated that the cheer that goods and service tax has brought to the automotive market has diminished, with concerns mounting over the risk of states raising road tax to offset revenue loss and was added that Maharashtra has already decided to increase the levy on vehicles by 2% to compensate for the absence of octroi, a state tax which has now been merged with GST.
Currently the automakers have cut prices from July 1 to pass on lower tax incidence under GST to buyers. They expected this to drive wholesale numbers in a traditionally lean July, with inventory at dealerships also running low and the increase in road tax, which is outside GST and set by states, now stands to dampen the prospects.
Sugato Sen deputy director general at industry body society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers that “industry executives had feared as much, and had demanded the central government to subsume road tax in the overarching GST framework. “In the past too, every time the central government lowered excise duty, state governments increased road tax negating the benefit. That is why we had urged the government to subsume road tax in GST”.
Prospects of ride-sharing & private cars being allowed to operate as taxis in the country New Delhi sources stated that taxi permits may be liberalized so that private cars can easily be converted and used as taxis by service aggregators,” set up to formulate an action plan to reform the country’s transport system and make it less polluting. As per the report finalized by the panel, which included representatives of various ministries and the Niti Aayog government think tank, the report makes it clear that passenger safety needs to be ensured under such a regime and has to be address
- Japanese two-wheeler manufacturer HMSI inching closer in Indian motorcycle market
- Tata Motors sells a range of vehicles from hatchback to SUVs in India
- Volkswagen expands production of Electric Vehicles (EVs)
- Women entrepreneurs are good not just for biz but also for society, says Jung
- US impact India export goods to America
- Renault & alliance partner Nissan discussing plans for a closer tie-up with Japanese car maker
- Honda Cars exports 1.6L Diesel Engine to Thailand
- AP aggressively takes a lead in the country by introducing 1 lakh electric vehicles
- Koda Kodiaq with an AEB system detects pedestrians as well
- Toyota Kirloskar Motors showed gradual increase in February 2018 sales
- Tata Motors says Jaguar Land Rover cannot be listed
- Cess on Automobiles, Rubber been abolished
- Road tax increased for automobile industry
- EESL soon floats another global tender for 10,000 electric vehicles
- American car maker GM winds up its domestic sales