Sources from New York have stated that a high ranking Bangladeshi diplomat based in New York, accused of forcing his servant to work for up to 18 hours a day without pay, was charged on Monday with labor trafficking and assault. Shahedul Islam, Bangladesh’s Deputy Consul General in New York, faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted.
It was stated that for his bail, which was set at $50,000 bond or $25,000 cash, Bangladesh’s Consul General in New York Shameem Ahsan, other colleagues and relatives arranged a $50,000 bond. But it will take a day for him to be released.
Meanwhile Shahedul, 45, brought another Bangladeshi, Mohammed Amin, to the
United States between 2012 and 2013 to work for his family in Queens as a
household helper, an arrangement common among South Asian diplomats.
Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said in a statement that “Soon after Mr. Amin’s arrival, the defendant allegedly took his passport and required the man to work 18 hours a day. Even though Mr. Amin had a contract which outlines his compensation, it is alleged he was never paid for his work". Shahedul has limited diplomatic immunity and was ordered to surrender his passport when he appeared before Queens Supreme Court Justice Daniel Lewis, Brown said in a statement.
President Donald Trump dumped his top diplomat Rex Tillerson New York sources reported that Pompeo, becoming the Secretary of State, will firm up the hard line leadership in the foreign policy and national security establishment, where those with military experience will dominate. Meanwhile the change at the State Department is unlikely to have any impact on India as the influential national security establishment has signed off on Trump’s elevation of India’s role in South Asia and the Indo-Pacific region and the approaches to those regions in general.
- Indian American holds First place in Democratic Primary
- Can NRI's invest in Mutual funds in India?
- Rare signed Gandhi photo auctioned in US
- Indian nationals foreign investor group in Dubai real estate, bought properties worth 83.65 billion
- Chicago's campaign about Trump's immigration policies catapulted
- Number of US citizens who want more gun control is growing
- US President imitated PM Narendra Modi on Harley Davidson tariff issue
- Muslim girl murdered after returning from US Mosque
- Group in Maharashtra Aurangabad filed complaints against Priya Varrier
- Bangladeshi diplomat accused for labor trafficking
- Changed status of Nirav Modi as NRI known to Indian Banks
- President Trump pushed for a merit based immigration system that admits skilled people
- 101 year old athlete Mann Kaur walks the famous Sky Tower and creates record
- Florida fire shooting kills 17 students
- Neil Chatterjee appointed by Trump for FERC is highly skillful