Tuticorin sources stated that a managed around 50 year old was reportedly killed in the violence that erupted near the Tuticorin district collectorate on Tuesday when anti-Sterlite protesters defied a ban order under Section 144 of the CrPC and continued their protest march. Meanwhile the protesters are demanding closure of the Sterlite Copper Smelter located near the town. Accordingly the person killed in the violence has been identified as Tamilarasan who was associated with an organization called Puratchikara Ilaignar Munnani.
For the past 100 days the residents of Tuticorin town have been demanding closure of the Sterlite plant and had announced they would take out a march to the Tuticorin District Collectorate on Tuesday, and meet the collector N Venkatesh. Furthermore the protesting public gathered for a black flag protest near the Church of the Lady of Snow in Tuticorin, while another group started to march from Madathur village.
Media report stated that police first resorted to lathi charge and then
fired teargas shells along the route to the collectorate and inside the
premises, the destination of the protest march. Further the vehicles on the
route of the march were set on fire during the protest. Employees of the
collector’s office were evacuated as the protests intensified. Moreover as the
situation went out of control, more than 2,000 police personnel from the
southern districts of Madurai, Ramanathapuram, Theni, Dindigul were deployed to
CM Chandrababu Naidu unveiled NTR statue Accordingly Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu on Friday unveiled a 36 feet tall statue of Telugu Desam Party (TDP) founder and actor turned politician N T Rama Rao at Sattenpalli in Guntur district. Reportedly the bronze statue has been erected on a 40 foot platform at NTR Sagar in the middle of the pond and the state government has plans to develop the region into a mini Tank Bund like the Hussainsagar in Hyderabad.
- Hyderabad Police booked 12 Websites for publishing defamatory article
- GHMC shelving its plan to revise property tax rates
- Again old rupee notes in Chennai!
- World's first genetically modified child!
- Edappadi checks food quality!
- Will DMK intervene in Mekedatu project?
- Prakash Raj to contest election as an Independent from Bengaluru-Central constituency
- Religion politics have not fared well in the South
- Paytm's New Feature adds benefit to Partner Merchants
- Deepika Padukone titled World's Most Beautiful Bride
- Amazon's New Year Sale delivery makes Record!!!
- Lord Vishnu statue carved from a monolithic block reached Singarapettai
- Jio New Year Offer recharges done between December 28, 2018, to January 31, 2019
- 437 CCTV Cameras installed in Chennai, Kilpauk Jurisdiction
- High Court Justice orders 37 ISPs to block 12,000 Websites