Chennai sources reported that bench comprising Justice M Sundar and Justice Anitha Sumanth passed the order staying construction of Vedanta's (formerly Sterlite Industries Limited) second unit in Tuticorin in Tamilnadu, on a petition filed by environmental activist Fathima Babu. Meanwhile the bench also directed the Central government to submit within four months a report after holding a public hearing in the district to invite public opinion on the plan for expansion.
Earlier Stertile had got consent to construct the second unit, as the existing unit remained shut for nearly two months now after the Tamilnadu Pollution Control Board refused to renew its consent to operate (CTO) the unit. Previously on May 17, the Pollution Control Board had reserved its order for June 6 on an appeal by Sterlite Copper challenging its decision.
Moreover the High Court had on May 17 reserved orders on a PIL seeking
quashing of the environmental clearance granted to Vedanta's copper smelter
unit. Furthermore Fathima Babu in her petition had sought a stay on the
environmental clearance to Vedanta's copper smelter unit and moreover she also
wanted exemplary cost to be imposed on the company for damaging the
environment. Further the violence during a protest in Tuticorin, seeking
permanent closure of Sterlite copper plant over alleged pollution issues saw
police resort to firing against protesters which has left at least 10 dead and
several persons including police personnel injured
Mahindra & Mahindra rolled out electric 3 wheeler auto rickshaw in Bengaluru According to sources "The 3 wheeler range Treo and Treo Yaari are powered with lithium ion battery, which gives 170 km ride for a single charge, said Mahindra Electric Mobility Ltd Chairman Pawan Goenka on the occasion. Meanwhile the $21 billion Mahindra group has invested Rs 100 crore in setting up a technology plant in the city's southern outskirts, with an installed capacity of 25,000 units per annum to make the e-autos for Karnataka initially.
- Sabarimala Temple Police Officers instructed to follow new Dress Code
- Will Pawan Kalyan contest from Eluru Constituency?
- TN CM announced Rs. 10 lakhs for families of deceased hit by Cyclone Gaja
- California's deadliest wildfires soared to more than 600, Trump to make his visit
- Granddaughter of TDP founder & late Chief Minister NT Rama Rao get TDP ticket
- Will forecast come true for TRS & give KCR another chance to rule Telangana?
- TN govt against Gaja!
- Secret pregnancy revealed by actor!
- Post Gaja, there's another threat!
- Vedaranyam heavily impacted by Gaja!
- Chandrababu Naidu leaving no leaf unturned to take on Modi
- Arvind Kejriwal to campaign in Telangana for AAP candidates
- Wedding Photos of Deepika Padukone & Ranveer Singh leaked out
- Will KTR quit politics, if TRS lost Elections?
- Cyclone Gaja crossed Tamilnadu coast between Nagapattinam & nearby Vedaranniyam