Chennai sources reported that bench comprising Justice M Sundar and Justice Anitha Sumanth passed the order staying construction of Vedanta's (formerly Sterlite Industries Limited) second unit in Tuticorin in Tamilnadu, on a petition filed by environmental activist Fathima Babu. Meanwhile the bench also directed the Central government to submit within four months a report after holding a public hearing in the district to invite public opinion on the plan for expansion.
Earlier Stertile had got consent to construct the second unit, as the existing unit remained shut for nearly two months now after the Tamilnadu Pollution Control Board refused to renew its consent to operate (CTO) the unit. Previously on May 17, the Pollution Control Board had reserved its order for June 6 on an appeal by Sterlite Copper challenging its decision.
Moreover the High Court had on May 17 reserved orders on a PIL seeking
quashing of the environmental clearance granted to Vedanta's copper smelter
unit. Furthermore Fathima Babu in her petition had sought a stay on the
environmental clearance to Vedanta's copper smelter unit and moreover she also
wanted exemplary cost to be imposed on the company for damaging the
environment. Further the violence during a protest in Tuticorin, seeking
permanent closure of Sterlite copper plant over alleged pollution issues saw
police resort to firing against protesters which has left at least 10 dead and
several persons including police personnel injured
Public exam for 5th and 8th class! Earlier TN Govt had the no detention policy so that no student gets failed and is retained in the same class, considering the right to education which offers education without failing, till elementary school but now in an opposite decision the TN govt has announced public exams for even 5th and 8th class students.
- Bank fraudsters caught in Chennai!
- Party members threatening to leave DMDK!
- DMK and Congress Unite!
- Network integration process of Vodafone Idea is on track by June 2020
- Revanth Reddy copycats KCRs style
- Lockheed Martin unveiled F-21 to boost India manufacturing in defense sector
- Hearing in Sunanda Pushkar death case began on February 21
- Will Captain Vijayakanth take alliance decision soon?
- Funny!!! Vietnam Barber expert in Trump & Kim Hairstyles
- How Chennai Swiggy Customer gets order delivery from Rajasthan?
- Tiktok committed to safe & positive in-app environment for users in India
- TN Govt plans to introduce Board Exams for Class 5 & 8
- Guntur District farmer committed suicide, doubts raised
- UK no longer preferred market for Indian investment due to Brexit factor
- Pakistan Cricketers portrait removed from HPCA