Chennai sources reported that bench comprising Justice M Sundar and Justice Anitha Sumanth passed the order staying construction of Vedanta's (formerly Sterlite Industries Limited) second unit in Tuticorin in Tamilnadu, on a petition filed by environmental activist Fathima Babu. Meanwhile the bench also directed the Central government to submit within four months a report after holding a public hearing in the district to invite public opinion on the plan for expansion.
Earlier Stertile had got consent to construct the second unit, as the existing unit remained shut for nearly two months now after the Tamilnadu Pollution Control Board refused to renew its consent to operate (CTO) the unit. Previously on May 17, the Pollution Control Board had reserved its order for June 6 on an appeal by Sterlite Copper challenging its decision.
Moreover the High Court had on May 17 reserved orders on a PIL seeking
quashing of the environmental clearance granted to Vedanta's copper smelter
unit. Furthermore Fathima Babu in her petition had sought a stay on the
environmental clearance to Vedanta's copper smelter unit and moreover she also
wanted exemplary cost to be imposed on the company for damaging the
environment. Further the violence during a protest in Tuticorin, seeking
permanent closure of Sterlite copper plant over alleged pollution issues saw
police resort to firing against protesters which has left at least 10 dead and
several persons including police personnel injured
Ambati questioned Chandrababu's motive behind involving in affairs of TRS party Vijayawada sources reported that official spokesperson of the YSR Congress party (YSRCP) Ambati Rambabu yesterday said that the Vangaveeti family would have the due respect and recognition in the party. Meanwhile he clarified that the YSRCP has taken the decision to invite the family into the party after taking into account all the aspects.
- Stormy Daniels provides a graphic description of Trump's genitalia
- Rahul Gandhi called Congress Workers been Lathi charged as "dictatorship under PM Modi"
- Saudi Arabia auctions real estates of billionaire Maan al-Sanea
- In 2019 Lok Sabha polls, people will defeat BJP: Mamata Banerjee
- MK Stalin launched scathing attack on Edappadi Palaniswami leveling corruption charges
- Trump imposes additional tariffs on China from September 24
- Who is the Baahubali of Telangana?
- Yusaku Maezawa, founder & CEO of Zozo, First Tourist to Moon