Tuticorin sources added that a fresh violence erupted at the site of anti-Sterlite protest in Tuticorin on Wednesday, a video has emerged showing inhuman reaction of the police as a young man lay dying on the ground. Media report stated that in the video, 22 year old Kaliappan can be seen lying on the ground with policemen surrounding him. As he moves his head a little, one of the policemen prods him with a stick and says, “Stop acting”. Kaliappan was among the hundreds protesting against a Sterlite plant at Tamilnadu's Tuticorin. He died of his gunshot wounds soon after.
Meanwhile he was declared dead when he was brought to the government hospital in Thoothukudi. Furthermore following Kaliappan’s death, the toll in the unfortunate and avoidable tragedy has risen to 12. Earlier on Wednesday, the Tamil Nadu government ordered suspension of internet services in Tuticorin and adjoining districts of Tirunelveli and Kanyakumari for five days to prevent spread of rumors through social media and help bring public tranquility.
Accordingly the killings of protesters have evoked a sharp response from
the opposition with MDMK founder likening it to Jallianwala Bagh massacre and
currently the protesters are demanding that Sterlite's copper smelting plant be
shut down as it is polluting the air and water of the region.
CM Chandrababu Naidu unveiled NTR statue Accordingly Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu on Friday unveiled a 36 feet tall statue of Telugu Desam Party (TDP) founder and actor turned politician N T Rama Rao at Sattenpalli in Guntur district. Reportedly the bronze statue has been erected on a 40 foot platform at NTR Sagar in the middle of the pond and the state government has plans to develop the region into a mini Tank Bund like the Hussainsagar in Hyderabad.
- Hyderabad Police booked 12 Websites for publishing defamatory article
- GHMC shelving its plan to revise property tax rates
- Again old rupee notes in Chennai!
- World's first genetically modified child!
- Edappadi checks food quality!
- Will DMK intervene in Mekedatu project?
- Prakash Raj to contest election as an Independent from Bengaluru-Central constituency
- Religion politics have not fared well in the South
- Paytm's New Feature adds benefit to Partner Merchants
- Deepika Padukone titled World's Most Beautiful Bride
- Amazon's New Year Sale delivery makes Record!!!
- Lord Vishnu statue carved from a monolithic block reached Singarapettai
- Jio New Year Offer recharges done between December 28, 2018, to January 31, 2019
- 437 CCTV Cameras installed in Chennai, Kilpauk Jurisdiction
- High Court Justice orders 37 ISPs to block 12,000 Websites