Tuticorin sources stated that Tamilnadu government said on Thursday that it was seeking a permanent closure of a big copper smelter run by London-listed Vedanta Resources after 13 people died in protests demanding the closure of the plant on environmental grounds. Sandeep Nanduri, the top official of the district where the plant is located said "The government's position is very clear, it doesn't want the plant to run”.
Earlier on Tuesday, police opened fire on protesters demanding that the smelter in the port city of Thoothukudi be shut down. Meanwhile in all, 13 protesters have been killed this week. Further the residents and environmental activists say emissions from the plant, India's second biggest, are polluting the air and water, affecting people's health.
Previously the authorities cut the power to the
smelter and moreover the pollution control board of Tamilnadu said the smelter,
which was shut pending renewal of its operating license, was found last week to
be preparing to resume production without permission. Moreover on Thursday,
Vedanta's Indian stock closed down 2%. Furthermore a company spokesman did not
immediately respond to a Reuters' email seeking comment on Tamilnadu's closure
plan and the allegation that it had been preparing to resume production without
Telangana Municipalities good news for Families below poverty line Hyderabad sources added that in a bid to encourage more people to get drinking water tap connections in urban areas, the state government of Telangana drastically slashed the deposit amount to just “Rs One ”for the below poverty line families and to “Rs 100” for others as against present Rs 6,000 as quoted in a release. Meanwhile in all municipalities and municipal corporations, the BPL
- CRPF Jawans victimized in Jammu & Kashmir
- Surprise Gift to Rahul Gandhi on Valentines Day
- 2 alliances in India, one under Rahul Gandhi and a 'gatbandhan' which has no leader: Amit Shah
- Arya & Sayyeshaa getting engaged to each other
- Pinnacle Blooms - Helping special kids
- Forest department eyeing Chinnathambi!
- Kamal Hassan praises woman!
- Captain Vijayakanth coming soon!
- Trump still adds to sources not requiring congressional approval
- New inmate into TDP from MLA Nandamuri Balakrishna's Family
- Will Anti Corruption Bureau in Delhi be controlled as per instructions from SC?
- KCR Govt plans to illuminate Charminar with 190-watt LED light
- Kotii Group - On the name of god celebrating 9th Anniversary
- When will Tamilnadu Districts be upgraded as Corporations?
- Know how to hide Caller ID when making call to Uber Driver