Tuticorin sources stated that Tamilnadu government said on Thursday that it was seeking a permanent closure of a big copper smelter run by London-listed Vedanta Resources after 13 people died in protests demanding the closure of the plant on environmental grounds. Sandeep Nanduri, the top official of the district where the plant is located said "The government's position is very clear, it doesn't want the plant to run”.
Earlier on Tuesday, police opened fire on protesters demanding that the smelter in the port city of Thoothukudi be shut down. Meanwhile in all, 13 protesters have been killed this week. Further the residents and environmental activists say emissions from the plant, India's second biggest, are polluting the air and water, affecting people's health.
Previously the authorities cut the power to the
smelter and moreover the pollution control board of Tamilnadu said the smelter,
which was shut pending renewal of its operating license, was found last week to
be preparing to resume production without permission. Moreover on Thursday,
Vedanta's Indian stock closed down 2%. Furthermore a company spokesman did not
immediately respond to a Reuters' email seeking comment on Tamilnadu's closure
plan and the allegation that it had been preparing to resume production without
136 people died after a ferry capsized on Lake Victoria, Tanzania Accordingly many are missing and it is feared that more than 200 people in total may have drowned. Rescue efforts resumed on Friday after being halted overnight. As per report the MV Nyerere ferry overturned near Ukara Island on its way from Bugorora. Meanwhile it is thought the overloaded vessel tipped over when crowds on board moved to one side as it docked.
- Karnataka CM Kumaraswamy called for a Revolt against BJP
- Balapur Laddu sets a new Record as it fetches Rs.16.6 Lakhs in Auction!
- TN Govt opened bookings for the online sale of imported sand at Thoothukudi port
- PM Narendra Modi catapulted many projects in Odisha & Chhattisgarh
- Is Chandrababu Naidu elder than PM Modi in politics?
- Will Chandrababu Naidu attend Court in Babli Case?
- India moving towards 5G: PM Modi
- "Facebook Dating" made available within social networking company's mobile app
- First Indian state to introduce Smart e-Public Distribution System (e-PDS)
- Pawan Kalyan to have 'Gelupu Rotte' to win upcoming general elections in AP
- Ajay Maken left for treatment abroad for his orthopedic ailment
- Trump participates in UNGA events & bilateral meetings from September 24-27
- Will Madras HC hear petitions challenging land acquisition in Chennai-Salem Project?
- BJP leader gets trolled!
- Kausalya consoles Amrutha Varshini!