Tuticorin sources stated that Tamilnadu government said on Thursday that it was seeking a permanent closure of a big copper smelter run by London-listed Vedanta Resources after 13 people died in protests demanding the closure of the plant on environmental grounds. Sandeep Nanduri, the top official of the district where the plant is located said "The government's position is very clear, it doesn't want the plant to run”.
Earlier on Tuesday, police opened fire on protesters demanding that the smelter in the port city of Thoothukudi be shut down. Meanwhile in all, 13 protesters have been killed this week. Further the residents and environmental activists say emissions from the plant, India's second biggest, are polluting the air and water, affecting people's health.
Previously the authorities cut the power to the
smelter and moreover the pollution control board of Tamilnadu said the smelter,
which was shut pending renewal of its operating license, was found last week to
be preparing to resume production without permission. Moreover on Thursday,
Vedanta's Indian stock closed down 2%. Furthermore a company spokesman did not
immediately respond to a Reuters' email seeking comment on Tamilnadu's closure
plan and the allegation that it had been preparing to resume production without
Mickey Mouse character turned 90 on Sunday Accordingly Iconic cartoon character Mickey Mouse turned 90 on Sunday, and his birthday is being celebrated around the world, including in India. Meanwhile Mickey Mouse made his first appearance in Steamboat Willie on November 18, 1928, and has ruled hearts since then. Furthermore he was born out of necessity when Walt Disney discovered he had lost the rights to his previous character
- More Rain anticipated in Tamilnadu from November 19
- Cyclone Gaja death toll in TN rose from 33 to 45
- Sirisena dissolved parliament, announced snap polls on January 5, 2019
- Can KCR win Elections by doing Yagams & Homams alone?
- Will Sharmila Jagan contest from Hyderabad?
- Sonia Gandhi to address a Public Meeting in Telangana on November 23
- Today is the Last day for filing nominations for Telangana Assembly Elections
- Superstar warns against ticket rates!
- Sasikala to come out on parole?
- Chief Minister Visit canceled!
- Schools, Colleges announced Holiday
- Will H1-B Visa Holders to split Families?
- DeepVeer to hosts 2 Wedding Receptions
- Death toll in Tamilnadu due to Cyclone Gaja rose to 33
- NASA's Kepler space telescope to disconnect communication with Earth