After the Thoothukudi protests against Sterlite had turned violent with cops shooting and killing 13 innocent civilians, an order was passed to ban internet in the city for 4 days, as a supposed measure to avoid spreading of false information.
When the order was passed, even the Madurai bench of Madras High court had come down against it, questioning that while internet shutdown in Thoothukudi alone can prevent rumors from spreading, why it was done in Tirunelveli and Kanyakumari. In case of Snowlin who was brutally killed in the protests, her family was not able to get updates on her body.
The court had ordered to preserving
the body, snowlin's family members were asked to sign postmortem formality
papers. With internet shutdown, people who were running out of talk time
balance could not recharge mobiles or communicate through WhatsApp or Facebook
and even the shops were closed due to 144 implementation, making even recharges
impossible. The internet shutdown had also resulted in lack of communication
and economic losses.
CM Chandrababu Naidu unveiled NTR statue Accordingly Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu on Friday unveiled a 36 feet tall statue of Telugu Desam Party (TDP) founder and actor turned politician N T Rama Rao at Sattenpalli in Guntur district. Reportedly the bronze statue has been erected on a 40 foot platform at NTR Sagar in the middle of the pond and the state government has plans to develop the region into a mini Tank Bund like the Hussainsagar in Hyderabad.
- Hyderabad Police booked 12 Websites for publishing defamatory article
- GHMC shelving its plan to revise property tax rates
- Again old rupee notes in Chennai!
- World's first genetically modified child!
- Edappadi checks food quality!
- Will DMK intervene in Mekedatu project?
- Prakash Raj to contest election as an Independent from Bengaluru-Central constituency
- Religion politics have not fared well in the South
- Paytm's New Feature adds benefit to Partner Merchants
- Deepika Padukone titled World's Most Beautiful Bride
- Amazon's New Year Sale delivery makes Record!!!
- Lord Vishnu statue carved from a monolithic block reached Singarapettai
- Jio New Year Offer recharges done between December 28, 2018, to January 31, 2019
- 437 CCTV Cameras installed in Chennai, Kilpauk Jurisdiction
- High Court Justice orders 37 ISPs to block 12,000 Websites