After the Thoothukudi protests against Sterlite had turned violent with cops shooting and killing 13 innocent civilians, an order was passed to ban internet in the city for 4 days, as a supposed measure to avoid spreading of false information.
When the order was passed, even the Madurai bench of Madras High court had come down against it, questioning that while internet shutdown in Thoothukudi alone can prevent rumors from spreading, why it was done in Tirunelveli and Kanyakumari. In case of Snowlin who was brutally killed in the protests, her family was not able to get updates on her body.
The court had ordered to preserving
the body, snowlin's family members were asked to sign postmortem formality
papers. With internet shutdown, people who were running out of talk time
balance could not recharge mobiles or communicate through WhatsApp or Facebook
and even the shops were closed due to 144 implementation, making even recharges
impossible. The internet shutdown had also resulted in lack of communication
and economic losses.
MD, New VP of India Operations appointed by FB As per report Facebook on Monday announced it has appointed Ajit Mohan, former CEO of video streaming platform Hotstar, as Managing Director and Vice-President, Facebook India. Meanwhile set to join Facebook from early next year, Mohan will be responsible for driving Face book’s overall strategy and continued investment in India, reporting directly to the Menlo Park based headquarter and not Asia Pacific.
- Bengaluru to receive heavy rain this week
- Will Harish get more majority to KCR in the ensuing elections?
- TPCC Working President confident SB Congress winning in Telangana
- Mother of one of 7 convicts in Rajiv Gandhi assassination case met TN Governor
- Maoist killers identified!
- Telangana Governor follows new way in saving Fuel
- Case against Tamilisai soon!
- Hyderabad Metro Rail carries 85,000 Passengers daily
- Baba on moon? Truth or fake?
- Arputhammal gives petition to Governor!
- Rajinikanth to target November or December!
- TN targeted by Maoists?
- Gujarat based Pharma company Sterling Biotech involved in 5000 Crore Bank fraud
- DoT approached SC for Spectrum Dues
- Donald Trump has hit 12% of total US imports by 2018