Sources from Tuticorin stated that Sterlite has a total of 1,100 direct employees and about 3,000 contract laborers at any point of time. But this claim of 'conspiracy' against the company, however, comes only from the higher echelons. As per report as TNM traversed through the villages of Thoothukudi, we met multiple mid-level management staff and laborers who worked on contract and when offered this defense from their bosses, they scoffed in disbelief.
Ramesh said "These are people who sit in their AC rooms all day and don't even come to the shop floor," who has been a supervisor in the electrical department of the company. Moreover his work, he claims, took him to every nook and corner of the plant. Accordingly it was close to 7pm and he had just returned from the unit after a day's work. He said "He is now part of the security department, but back in 2017 when he would walk into the factory and his eyes would burn almost immediately. Despite respiratory devices, we could not stand there for over one hour. Your lungs would feel like they are on fire".
Moreover in Pandarampatti village, which is just five kilometres from
the plant, out of 3000 people, at least one third had worked at the Sterlite
copper smelter at some point as a contract laborer. Furthermore several of
these workers would labor through the day in Sterlite and come back in the
evening to attend meetings against the company.
Ex-PM highlights rural indebtedness, urban chaos Sources from New Delhi stated that former Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh said the phenomenon of “jobless growth” has deteriorated into “job-loss growth”. This together with rural indebtedness and urban chaos has made the growing number of aspiration youths restless. When hitting out at the government for failing to steer the economy to its potential, Dr Singh said the domestic challenges
- PMK will support AIADMK- BJP front in Tamilnadu in general elections
- French researchers found 5.8 million Indane customer records
- Will Sania Mirza be removed as brand ambassador of Telangana ?
- Freedom we have is very expensive due to CRPF Employees
- Why India raised Pulwama attack issue at Munich Conference?
- RBI found large divergence in the books of Yes Bank
- Tamilisai welcomes Kamal speech!
- Kiran Bedi Vs Narayanasamy intensifies!
- Kaduvetti Guru's mother against Anbumani!
- 4 soldiers die in a fight!
- Kamal slams Rajinikanth
- KPN Travels - A Bus Service which would make you regret
- Pulwama attacker's father blames Indian security forces for his son turning into terrorist
- Telangana will have 33 districts from now onwards
- Police arrested Kashmiri student for making insensitive posts about Pulwama terror attack