Chess player Sowmya Swaminathan, grand master and former champion, Chess Junior girls’ category, has pulled out of the Asian Team chess championships which are scheduled to be held between July 26 and August 4 at Hamadan, Iran. The champion has exited the tournament after she had expressed her unwillingness to wear the head scarf which was mandated by the government in the country.
Sowmya had said that this rule forced on her tend to violate her personal rights. The champ had taken it to her Facebook page to express why she had quit the games. She had said that the Iranian law of head scarf made mandatory was directly violating her human rights, and her right to freedom of expression, religion, thought, and conscience.
To protect her rights, she opted out
of the Iran tour, explained Sowmya. Though the national practices are existing,
they should not be imposing them on sports persons, said the star. She had
expressed her apology to the board which selects her to be a part of the team
for the championship that she could not be attending the tournament as she
can't wear a burkha. In a similar incident years before, in 2016, shooter
Heena Sidhi had pulled out of Asian Airgun meet, which was again held at Iran,
and the reason being the same.
136 people died after a ferry capsized on Lake Victoria, Tanzania Accordingly many are missing and it is feared that more than 200 people in total may have drowned. Rescue efforts resumed on Friday after being halted overnight. As per report the MV Nyerere ferry overturned near Ukara Island on its way from Bugorora. Meanwhile it is thought the overloaded vessel tipped over when crowds on board moved to one side as it docked.
- Karnataka CM Kumaraswamy called for a Revolt against BJP
- Balapur Laddu sets a new Record as it fetches Rs.16.6 Lakhs in Auction!
- TN Govt opened bookings for the online sale of imported sand at Thoothukudi port
- PM Narendra Modi catapulted many projects in Odisha & Chhattisgarh
- Is Chandrababu Naidu elder than PM Modi in politics?
- Will Chandrababu Naidu attend Court in Babli Case?
- India moving towards 5G: PM Modi
- "Facebook Dating" made available within social networking company's mobile app
- First Indian state to introduce Smart e-Public Distribution System (e-PDS)
- Pawan Kalyan to have 'Gelupu Rotte' to win upcoming general elections in AP
- Ajay Maken left for treatment abroad for his orthopedic ailment
- Trump participates in UNGA events & bilateral meetings from September 24-27
- Will Madras HC hear petitions challenging land acquisition in Chennai-Salem Project?
- BJP leader gets trolled!
- Kausalya consoles Amrutha Varshini!