Thoothukudi district administration office has sent officials to examine the Vedanta owned Sterlite Copper Plant's sulphuric acid leak reported in a storage unit of the plant which was sealed. Chemicals and hazardous waste from the place will be removed, said the Thoothukudi Collector Sandeep Nanthuri.
The location was visited by a special team consisting of Sub-Collector M.S. Prasanth, who is a District Environment Engineer belonging to the Tamil Nadu Pollution Control Board, Besides officials from Revenue and Fire departments. Sterlite Copper has applied requested to the state government to offer limited access to a smelter for performing mandatory safety audits to avoid chemical leak incidents though the government is yet to give permission for the same.
Collector has said that since the Government has ordered to seal the plant, district authorities have no authority to allow Sterlite to perform audits without orders from TN government. It must be noted that the Tamil Nadu government had ordered the sealing and permanent closure of Sterlite Copper factory, after violence in the district lead to the killing of 14 people by policemen. The government had followed the TNPCB order to close the unit to safeguard the environment and the people.
Protest shutdown against terror attack affects life in Jammu Accordingly life in Jammu and Kashmir was adversely affected on Friday due to a protest shutdown called against the terror strike in the valley in which 45 CRPF personnel were killed in a suicide attack. Meanwhile the shutdown has been called by the Jammu Chamber of Commerce and Industry (JCCI), an influential body of local traders and industrialists.
- Telangana Municipalities good news for Families below poverty line
- CRPF Jawans victimized in Jammu & Kashmir
- Surprise Gift to Rahul Gandhi on Valentines Day
- 2 alliances in India, one under Rahul Gandhi and a 'gatbandhan' which has no leader: Amit Shah
- Arya & Sayyeshaa getting engaged to each other
- Pinnacle Blooms - Helping special kids
- Forest department eyeing Chinnathambi!
- Kamal Hassan praises woman!
- Captain Vijayakanth coming soon!
- Trump still adds to sources not requiring congressional approval
- New inmate into TDP from MLA Nandamuri Balakrishna's Family
- Will Anti Corruption Bureau in Delhi be controlled as per instructions from SC?
- KCR Govt plans to illuminate Charminar with 190-watt LED light
- Kotii Group - On the name of god celebrating 9th Anniversary
- When will Tamilnadu Districts be upgraded as Corporations?