According to sources minor leak has been detected in the sulphuric acid storage plant in Vedanta’s south Indian copper smelter, a government official said on Sunday, about a month after the state ordered its shutdown after protests in which 13 people died. Earlier police opened fire on a crowd of protesters on May 22 calling for the shutdown on the grounds of pollution. Presently the Tamilnadu state government then ordered a permanent shutdown.
Accordingly a leakage was observed in the sulphuric acid storage plant. Sandeep Nanduri ,The district’s top administrative official, said “It doesn’t look problematic, but we have decided to evacuate the storage as a safety precaution”.
As per report Vedanta Ltd, the Indian subsidiary of Vedanta Resources PLC
which operates the smelter, did not immediately respond to a request seeking
comment. Moreover the smelter accounted for over a third of India’s refined
copper output, and India is set to see a rise in copper imports following the
shutdown. Sulphuric acid, a corrosive byproduct of smelting, is used by
fertilizer and chemical companies as a raw material.
Vedaranyam heavily impacted by Gaja! Due to the rampage caused by Gaja cyclone, Nagapattinam district's Vedaranyam area has become an island surrounded by water all over. The people residing in Vedaranyam are facing a tough time, as they are facing troubles even in getting food and water. Now the condition is that it requires more than 6 hours taking resources like food and water into Vedaranyam.
- Chandrababu Naidu leaving no leaf unturned to take on Modi
- Arvind Kejriwal to campaign in Telangana for AAP candidates
- Wedding Photos of Deepika Padukone & Ranveer Singh leaked out
- Will KTR quit politics, if TRS lost Elections?
- Cyclone Gaja crossed Tamilnadu coast between Nagapattinam & nearby Vedaranniyam
- PM Modi felicitated winning teams of Singapore-India Hackathon
- Social Activist Trupti Desai urged PM ensuring security for her visit to Sabarimala Temple
- Karunanidhi's Life Size Statue to be unveiled on December 16
- . Indian-American to replace Justice Brett Kavanaugh on DC Circuit Court of Appeals
- Gaja impacts throughout the state!
- Smriti Trolls DeepVeer!
- 13 year old dies in boxing contest!
- TN govt ready to face Gaja!
- Automated baggage check-in facility introduced for passengers in Bengaluru Airport
- Railway suspects passengers for missing Bed sheets & Towels in A/c Coaches