Sources from Ooty stated that June 24’ is a date etched in the memory of naturalists of Nilgiris due to its association with the World Guinness records. Earlier on 24-6-2002, this hill district had entered the Guinness World record for planting most number of saplings on a single day. Meanwhile from then onward, the near 80 acre of land at Kuruthukuli, where the record creating event was held, had come to be known as “Guinness Park”.
Furthermore sadly over the past 16 years of time, most of the 42,184 saplings that were planted during the record creating event failed to take roots as lack of interest among officials and poor maintenance are said to be the reasons behind this ‘Guinness Park’ losing its sheen over time. Presently, greens are raising their voices to end the dispute over the ‘Guinness Park’ land ownership and to transfer the land to the Forest department for renewed attempts to replant the saplings to bring back shape to the ‘Guinness Park’.
Moreover echoing the same tone, V. Sivadass, managing trustee of the
Nilgiris Environment and Socio-cultural Trust, said that the planting in
‘Guinness Park’ should be carried out in such a way by allotting some portions
of the park to ‘National Green Crops’ and other organizations which show
interest in tree planting to help them plant and maintain their portions in the
CBI & ED likely to issue summons for questioning former ICICI Bank CEO Chanda Kochhar According to report CBI sources said former ICICI Bank CEO and MD Chanda Kochhar, her husband Deepak Kochhar and industrialist V.N. Dhoot in connection with the Rs 3,250 crore loan case involving the Videocon Group and ICICI Bank. Meanwhile the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) sources said the agency would initiate the summons as it had completed the scrutiny of documents
- SED of Tamilnadu mulling introducing board exams for classes 5 & 8
- Will YS Jagan become CM of AP as per survey?
- BJP leader wants Kanyakumari!
- Viral video of school students in trains!
- Measures were taken to stop water to Pakistan!
- Kamal says Thiruvarur gave family politics!
- Trump made no mention of China or Huawei, steps back from threat of full ban
- Fight between Swiggy & Zomato extends to takeover of Uber Eats
- Summer Season to be hotter than normal in Karnataka
- Congress questions BJP as either PM was completely oblivious to Pulwama attack
- Why Vijayakanth pretty unhappy with BJP-AIADMK response to DMDK ambition?
- YSRCP attacks TDP saying AP has 59 Lakh Fake Voters
- Telangana Govt announces Rs.25 Lakhs to Families of Pulwama attack jawans
- 2019 Elections testing waters for YS Jagan's stamina
- Animosity between AP people & Central government out in the open