Sources from Ooty stated that June 24’ is a date etched in the memory of naturalists of Nilgiris due to its association with the World Guinness records. Earlier on 24-6-2002, this hill district had entered the Guinness World record for planting most number of saplings on a single day. Meanwhile from then onward, the near 80 acre of land at Kuruthukuli, where the record creating event was held, had come to be known as “Guinness Park”.
Furthermore sadly over the past 16 years of time, most of the 42,184 saplings that were planted during the record creating event failed to take roots as lack of interest among officials and poor maintenance are said to be the reasons behind this ‘Guinness Park’ losing its sheen over time. Presently, greens are raising their voices to end the dispute over the ‘Guinness Park’ land ownership and to transfer the land to the Forest department for renewed attempts to replant the saplings to bring back shape to the ‘Guinness Park’.
Moreover echoing the same tone, V. Sivadass, managing trustee of the
Nilgiris Environment and Socio-cultural Trust, said that the planting in
‘Guinness Park’ should be carried out in such a way by allotting some portions
of the park to ‘National Green Crops’ and other organizations which show
interest in tree planting to help them plant and maintain their portions in the
Phethai cyclone won't be a threat to TN! The new cyclone that has been formed in the south east Bay of Bengal and the Indian ocean areas around it, has been named as Phethai, and it has been said that this cyclone won't be of much trouble for Tamilnadu and will have minimal rainfalls. Within the next 24 hours, in the southeast Bay of Bengal and the Indian Ocean areas, there will be a low pressure trough formation, and this will become
- Stalin wishes Sonia Gandhi!
- Thirumavalavan confirms no PMK with DMK!
- Congress ahead in Rajasthan & Chhattisgarh
- Protests before Kerala CM residence!
- Congress Leads in Chhattisgarh,Rajasthan, TRS in Telangana
- #TelanganaElections2018 - Zero chances for Lotus to Bloom anywhere in South India
- #TelanganaElections2018 - TRS got 77% of the Polled votes and this is one of the best margins in Indian Democratic History
- Voter turnout in Hyderabad fell to a dismal figure of 48.9%
- Call centre for Women's Emergency helpline inaugurated in Chennai
- #AssemblyElections2018 - Track Live Updates
- #AssemblyElections2018 -A humongous victory for TRS surpassing 90 seat mark, Congress Leads in 3 states
- Counting of Votes for Telangana in full swing
- TRS Leading in Early Trends of Counting!!!
- Polling results from Rajasthan, Telangana, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh & Mizoram LIVE UPDATES
- Telangana Leaders took Four Days break before Counting of Votes