Port Moresby sources made a statement that an outbreak of polio has been confirmed in Papua New Guinea, 18 years after the country was declared free of the disease. Media report added that public health emergency has been declared. As per report at least three provinces Morobe, Madang and the Eastern Highlands confirmed the outbreak of the potentially deadly virus over this week following a meeting by the National Executive Council.
Minister for Health Puka Temu said the public health emergency order will remain in place for at least 12 months. Accordingly the World Health Organization (WHO) says the virus was detected in a six year old boy in April. Moreover the same strain of the virus has now been detected in other healthy children in the same community, making it officially an outbreak.
As per report polio has no cure and can lead to irreversible paralysis and
moreover it mainly affects children under the age of five, and can only be
prevented by giving a child multiple vaccine doses.
136 people died after a ferry capsized on Lake Victoria, Tanzania Accordingly many are missing and it is feared that more than 200 people in total may have drowned. Rescue efforts resumed on Friday after being halted overnight. As per report the MV Nyerere ferry overturned near Ukara Island on its way from Bugorora. Meanwhile it is thought the overloaded vessel tipped over when crowds on board moved to one side as it docked.
- Karnataka CM Kumaraswamy called for a Revolt against BJP
- Balapur Laddu sets a new Record as it fetches Rs.16.6 Lakhs in Auction!
- TN Govt opened bookings for the online sale of imported sand at Thoothukudi port
- PM Narendra Modi catapulted many projects in Odisha & Chhattisgarh
- Is Chandrababu Naidu elder than PM Modi in politics?
- Will Chandrababu Naidu attend Court in Babli Case?
- India moving towards 5G: PM Modi
- "Facebook Dating" made available within social networking company's mobile app
- First Indian state to introduce Smart e-Public Distribution System (e-PDS)
- Pawan Kalyan to have 'Gelupu Rotte' to win upcoming general elections in AP
- Ajay Maken left for treatment abroad for his orthopedic ailment
- Trump participates in UNGA events & bilateral meetings from September 24-27
- Will Madras HC hear petitions challenging land acquisition in Chennai-Salem Project?
- BJP leader gets trolled!
- Kausalya consoles Amrutha Varshini!