New Delhi sources added that Prime Minister Narendra Modi had ruled out a single tax rate under the GST, saying Mercedes car and milk cannot be taxed at the same rate adding that accepting Congress party' demand for a uniform 18% rate would lead to a spike in food and essential items' taxation. Meanwhile PM Modi said the Goods and Services Tax (GST) has within one year of its launch led to over 70% jump in indirect taxpayer base, demolished check-posts and merged 17 taxes and 23 cess into one single tax.
As per report the new tax regime, which subsumed central levies like excise duty and service tax and state taxes like VAT, is aimed at making indirect taxation "simple" while eliminating the 'Inspector Raj', he said, adding the GST is an evolving system which is calibrated based on feedback from state governments, trades and other stakeholders. Accordingly "It would have been very simple to have just one slab but it would have meant we could not have food items at 0% tax rate. Can we have milk and Mercedes at the same rate?”.
Furthermore he said in an interview to Swarajya Magazine "So, when
our friends in Congress say that they will have just one GST rate, they are
effectively saying they will tax food items and commodities, which are
currently at zero or 5%, at 18%". Moreover to a query on criticism of GST
implementation, he said the new tax regime was a massive change, requiring a
complete reset of one of the world's largest economic systems.
Animosity between AP people & Central government out in the open As per report the situation between Andhra Pradesh and Centre got worse when the Telugu Desam Party decided to break off ties with the BJP and walked out of the NDA government early last year. Meanwhile ever since the break-up, Andhra Pradesh has been getting a raw deal from the Centre. Furthermore the BJP High Command's interference in ensuring that AP is at a disadvantaged position, added to the already existing tension.
- FIR registered against Pakistani actor wife refusing anti-polio drops to their daughter
- Jr NTR to be brand ambassador for Appy Fizz in South India
- History Maker: Madhusudhan Rao Founder of Lanco Infratech
- Public exam for 5th and 8th class!
- Bank fraudsters caught in Chennai!
- Party members threatening to leave DMDK!
- DMK and Congress Unite!
- Network integration process of Vodafone Idea is on track by June 2020
- Revanth Reddy copycats KCRs style
- Lockheed Martin unveiled F-21 to boost India manufacturing in defense sector
- Hearing in Sunanda Pushkar death case began on February 21
- Will Captain Vijayakanth take alliance decision soon?
- Funny!!! Vietnam Barber expert in Trump & Kim Hairstyles
- How Chennai Swiggy Customer gets order delivery from Rajasthan?
- Tiktok committed to safe & positive in-app environment for users in India