Recently the SC has restored the power of Delhi state government and thus limited the role of Lieutenant Governor. Meanwhile in a crucial case related to the power tussle between the Delhi government and the Lieutenant Governor, SC has pronounced its verdict stating that the power lies with the elected government and L-G doesn't have any special or independent powers.
Accordingly a five judge bench led by Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra made it clear that the L-G is bound by the aid and advice of the council of minister who is elected by people and who are answerable to the people. Moreover Justice D Y Chandrachud went further to say that the L-G had no independent authority of his own and recently the court also said that in a democracy, the real power must lie with the elected representatives of the people.
Furthermore it said that the LG is also bound to send files to the
President in case of differences of opinion, in exceptional matters and the
Apex court said the LG has not been inferred with independent decision-making
powers. He cannot act as an "obstructionist". Moreover the Supreme
Court added that the LG and the Delhi government have to work harmoniously. The
bench said “LG must realize that it is the Council of Ministers, who are
answerable to the people and he cannot stall every decision of the National
Capital Territory (NCT) government”.
136 people died after a ferry capsized on Lake Victoria, Tanzania Accordingly many are missing and it is feared that more than 200 people in total may have drowned. Rescue efforts resumed on Friday after being halted overnight. As per report the MV Nyerere ferry overturned near Ukara Island on its way from Bugorora. Meanwhile it is thought the overloaded vessel tipped over when crowds on board moved to one side as it docked.
- Karnataka CM Kumaraswamy called for a Revolt against BJP
- Balapur Laddu sets a new Record as it fetches Rs.16.6 Lakhs in Auction!
- TN Govt opened bookings for the online sale of imported sand at Thoothukudi port
- PM Narendra Modi catapulted many projects in Odisha & Chhattisgarh
- Is Chandrababu Naidu elder than PM Modi in politics?
- Will Chandrababu Naidu attend Court in Babli Case?
- India moving towards 5G: PM Modi
- "Facebook Dating" made available within social networking company's mobile app
- First Indian state to introduce Smart e-Public Distribution System (e-PDS)
- Pawan Kalyan to have 'Gelupu Rotte' to win upcoming general elections in AP
- Ajay Maken left for treatment abroad for his orthopedic ailment
- Trump participates in UNGA events & bilateral meetings from September 24-27
- Will Madras HC hear petitions challenging land acquisition in Chennai-Salem Project?
- BJP leader gets trolled!
- Kausalya consoles Amrutha Varshini!