Washington sources reported that Walmart removed shirts and other gear from its online marketplace bearing the phrase "Impeach 45" after supporters of US President Donald Trump lambasted the retail giant on social media. Meanwhile Walmart nixed the items yesterday after images of jerseys and baby gear with the anti-Trump slogan went viral on social media and at midday, the phrase Boycott Walmart was trending on Twitter.
A company spokesman said "These items were sold by third party sellers on our open marketplace, and were not offered directly by Walmart and we are removing these types of items pending review of our marketplace policies." Moreover the controversy highlights a challenge of doing business in a country increasingly polarized by politics, where supporters and critics of Trump have become more vocal in pressuring companies with boycott threats when they appear to be taking sides.
Meanwhile Neil Saunders, managing director of
consulting firm GlobalData Retail said Walmart's decision to remove the
anti-Trump merchandise made sense given the company's profile. Saunders said "A
lot of the stores are in locations that are probably fairly Republican and they
do need to take action because it could alienate a large portion of their
MD, New VP of India Operations appointed by FB As per report Facebook on Monday announced it has appointed Ajit Mohan, former CEO of video streaming platform Hotstar, as Managing Director and Vice-President, Facebook India. Meanwhile set to join Facebook from early next year, Mohan will be responsible for driving Face book’s overall strategy and continued investment in India, reporting directly to the Menlo Park based headquarter and not Asia Pacific.
- Bengaluru to receive heavy rain this week
- Will Harish get more majority to KCR in the ensuing elections?
- TPCC Working President confident SB Congress winning in Telangana
- Mother of one of 7 convicts in Rajiv Gandhi assassination case met TN Governor
- Maoist killers identified!
- Telangana Governor follows new way in saving Fuel
- Case against Tamilisai soon!
- Hyderabad Metro Rail carries 85,000 Passengers daily
- Baba on moon? Truth or fake?
- Arputhammal gives petition to Governor!
- Rajinikanth to target November or December!
- TN targeted by Maoists?
- Gujarat based Pharma company Sterling Biotech involved in 5000 Crore Bank fraud
- DoT approached SC for Spectrum Dues
- Donald Trump has hit 12% of total US imports by 2018