Thiruvananthapuram sources stated that as per report Cochin International Airport Limited (CIAL) will be honored by the UN with the ‘Champion of Earth Prize’ for the year 2018, after having successfully implemented the use of solar energy rendering it the world’s only airport run on solar power. Meanwhile this comes just three years after the airport took on a gargantuan task in October 2015 to power the airport fully and exclusively through solar energy.
Accordingly this prize is considered the UN’s highest environmental honor. Moreover an official statement by the UN’s Global Chief of Environment and Executive Director of UNEP, Erik Solheim, to the airport Managing Director V J Kurian read, “This is the United Nation’s highest environmental accolade and reflects your leadership in the use of sustainable energy." Furthermore after stating, “As the world’s first fully solar-powered airport, you set an ambitious example that we hope many others will follow. Hence the award will be presented at a gala ceremony on the sidelines of the General Assembly in New York on September 26, 2018.”
Recently a team from the UN led by Solheim himself had previously visited
the Kochi airport to learn more about its solar initiatives and had met
authorities as well as Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan. Moreover the idea of a
solar powered airport came from managing director V J Kurian.
Railway suspects passengers for missing Bed sheets & Towels in A/c Coaches Accordingly affluent AC passengers are the prime suspects as over 21 lakh towels, bed sheets, blankets and other items went missing from air-conditioned coaches during 2017-18. As official said “The passengers are suspected to have made off with precisely 21,72,246 "bedroll items" including 12,83,415 hand towels, 4,71,077 bed sheets and 3,14,952 pillow covers from trains across the country
- KCR has No Loans, No Cars in his name
- Pawan Kalyans shocking comments on BJP
- Multi pronged strategy adopted by Telangana Cops to prevent Maoists threat
- Rahul Gandhi slams PM Modi & Anil Ambani in Rafael Deal
- Cyclone Gaja expected with more anticipation in Chennai
- Deepika-Ranveer MARRIED in Italy
- ISRO successfully launched GSLV-Mk III on Wednesday
- Chandrababu Naidu confident in winning in Telangana
- Muslims in Telangana state upset seeing attitude of political parties
- A new memoir titled "Becoming" by Michelle Obama out
- Bengaluru likely to receive rainfall on November 16-17 & 22-23
- Swiggy plans to deploy Women as delivery personnel across India
- Has AP government misused Tirumala Tirupathi temple funds?
- Sexual abuser arrested finally!
- Infosys founder supports Modi!