Accordingly the United States Geological Survey said the powerful quake, whose epicenter was at a depth of seven kilometers (four miles), hit at 6:47 am local time (2247 GMT Saturday). As per report it struck 50 km (30 miles) northeast of the island's main city Mataram. Meanwhile Lombok in southeastern Indonesia is a popular tourist destination, and lies around 100 km east of the resort island of Bali.
Moreover Indonesia's geophysics and meteorology agency said at least 11 aftershocks were recorded after the 6.4-magnitude earthquake. Agency spokesman Hary Tirto Djatmiko said in a statement "So far we have not received any report on damages". He added No tsunami alert was issued. People living near the epicenter felt a strong jolt. Zulkifli, a resident of North Lombok, close to the epicenter said "The earthquake was very strong and everybody in his house panicked, we all ran outside and all his neighbors also ran outside and the electricity was suddenly cut off”.
Furthermore Indonesia, an archipelago of thousands
of islands, sits on the so-called Pacific Ring of Fire, a seismic activity
hotspot. Moreover it is frequently hit by quakes, most of them harmless.
However, the region remains acutely alert to tremors that might trigger
tsunamis. Earlier in 2004, a tsunami triggered by a magnitude 9.3 undersea
earthquake off the coast of Sumatra, in western Indonesia, killed 220,000
people in countries around the Indian Ocean, including 168,000 in
Tamilisai welcomes Kamal speech! BJP Tamilnadu leader Tamilisai Soundararajan has said that it is wrong to consider either Rajinikanth or Vijay's statements as a danger to BJP. She had met the press recently at Chennai airport and had said that Rajinikanth's statement that he is not going to contest Lok Sabha elections is a clear one and that it will not cause any danger to BJP.
- Kiran Bedi Vs Narayanasamy intensifies!
- Kaduvetti Guru's mother against Anbumani!
- 4 soldiers die in a fight!
- Kamal slams Rajinikanth
- KPN Travels - A Bus Service which would make you regret
- Pulwama attacker's father blames Indian security forces for his son turning into terrorist
- Telangana will have 33 districts from now onwards
- Police arrested Kashmiri student for making insensitive posts about Pulwama terror attack
- Mamata Banerjee condemned Pulwama attack, strong action against Pakistan
- Rajinikanth warned Media not to use his photograph for LS Polls 2019
- Pakistan Authorities cancelled registration of a school for playing Indian song & Flag
- Contribute to CRPF Families through this websites
- EPS spends 15 crores on ads!
- Chinnathambi locked in cage!
- No to BJP says Sarathkumar!