Accordingly the United States Geological Survey said the powerful quake, whose epicenter was at a depth of seven kilometers (four miles), hit at 6:47 am local time (2247 GMT Saturday). As per report it struck 50 km (30 miles) northeast of the island's main city Mataram. Meanwhile Lombok in southeastern Indonesia is a popular tourist destination, and lies around 100 km east of the resort island of Bali.
Moreover Indonesia's geophysics and meteorology agency said at least 11 aftershocks were recorded after the 6.4-magnitude earthquake. Agency spokesman Hary Tirto Djatmiko said in a statement "So far we have not received any report on damages". He added No tsunami alert was issued. People living near the epicenter felt a strong jolt. Zulkifli, a resident of North Lombok, close to the epicenter said "The earthquake was very strong and everybody in his house panicked, we all ran outside and all his neighbors also ran outside and the electricity was suddenly cut off”.
Furthermore Indonesia, an archipelago of thousands
of islands, sits on the so-called Pacific Ring of Fire, a seismic activity
hotspot. Moreover it is frequently hit by quakes, most of them harmless.
However, the region remains acutely alert to tremors that might trigger
tsunamis. Earlier in 2004, a tsunami triggered by a magnitude 9.3 undersea
earthquake off the coast of Sumatra, in western Indonesia, killed 220,000
people in countries around the Indian Ocean, including 168,000 in
Will Chandrababu Naidu attend Court in Babli Case? Dharmabad sources made a statement that in a jolt to Andhra Pradesh CM Nara Chandrababu Naidu and the Dharmbad Court yesterday rejected the recall petition filed by the advocates who represented him. Meanwhile in connection with the Babli project protests case, the Court ordered that Chandrababu, despite being a Chief Minister, should attend the Court proceedings.
- India moving towards 5G: PM Modi
- "Facebook Dating" made available within social networking company's mobile app
- First Indian state to introduce Smart e-Public Distribution System (e-PDS)
- Pawan Kalyan to have 'Gelupu Rotte' to win upcoming general elections in AP
- Ajay Maken left for treatment abroad for his orthopedic ailment
- Trump participates in UNGA events & bilateral meetings from September 24-27
- Will Madras HC hear petitions challenging land acquisition in Chennai-Salem Project?
- BJP leader gets trolled!
- Kausalya consoles Amrutha Varshini!
- Krishnaswamy turns against Karunas!
- Daye suppression isn't the end!
- HD Kumaraswamy meets 3,000 people every week during 'Janata Darshan'
- Muslims across 31 districts of Telangana must get representation in 2018 Elections
- TN Dr. Ambedkar Law University to remove unqualified teaching staff & other staff
- Will Tamilnadu Govt make Helmet compulsory?