Accordingly the United States Geological Survey said the powerful quake, whose epicenter was at a depth of seven kilometers (four miles), hit at 6:47 am local time (2247 GMT Saturday). As per report it struck 50 km (30 miles) northeast of the island's main city Mataram. Meanwhile Lombok in southeastern Indonesia is a popular tourist destination, and lies around 100 km east of the resort island of Bali.
Moreover Indonesia's geophysics and meteorology agency said at least 11 aftershocks were recorded after the 6.4-magnitude earthquake. Agency spokesman Hary Tirto Djatmiko said in a statement "So far we have not received any report on damages". He added No tsunami alert was issued. People living near the epicenter felt a strong jolt. Zulkifli, a resident of North Lombok, close to the epicenter said "The earthquake was very strong and everybody in his house panicked, we all ran outside and all his neighbors also ran outside and the electricity was suddenly cut off”.
Furthermore Indonesia, an archipelago of thousands
of islands, sits on the so-called Pacific Ring of Fire, a seismic activity
hotspot. Moreover it is frequently hit by quakes, most of them harmless.
However, the region remains acutely alert to tremors that might trigger
tsunamis. Earlier in 2004, a tsunami triggered by a magnitude 9.3 undersea
earthquake off the coast of Sumatra, in western Indonesia, killed 220,000
people in countries around the Indian Ocean, including 168,000 in
Rajinikanth delays politics due to BJP loss? Superstar Rajinikanth celebrates his 69th birthday today and on eve of the day, his numerous fans are celebrating with various events and his next movie Petta teaser was also released and fans are going Gaga over it. With BJP losing heavily in the state assembly elections, it has been said that Rajinikanth has decided to delay his political entry further.
- Mizoram CM's Sensational first order!
- Why Chandrababu Naidu failed in Telangana?
- Will Stormy Daniels pay Trump &3,00,000 as defamation suit dismissed?
- KCR the KING of Telangana, to Sworn in as CM
- Rahul Gandhi principal challenger to PM Narendra Modi for LS polls in 2019
- Has BJP lost its influence? Rajinikanth
- RGVs comment after Telangana Election Results
- 6 Women Candidates elected in Telangana Assembly 2018
- Puppy Sales at Pet Shops banned in Germany during Christmas
- Will Revanth Reddy quit politics?
- IIT-M makes 888 Job offers by 195 companies
- KCRs added advantage in becoming CM again
- Matter of extradition of Vijay Mallya to India referred to Secretary of State of UK
- Uttam Kumar Reddy alleged discrepancies in counting of votes for Telangana
- Zomato Delivery Man caught in Video eating Food for Delivery