Even as DMK chief M Karunanidhi is in hospital bed, a huge step in regard of caste discrimination in temple priesthood has happened in Tamil Nadu as a non-Brahmin priest has been appointed in a temple in Madurai. This is the first of its kind appointment of a non-Brahmin in a Tamil Nadu government-administered temple and this was done based on a step taken in 2006 by former Chief Minister M Karunanidhi.
The priest appointed, is the first among 206 men who were enrolled in the TN government junior priest certificate course held between 2007-08 for all castes, for getting appointed as priest in temples which is administered by the Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowment department. Though this appointment of a non Brahmin is a great move to be celebrated, both the AIADMK government and the priest are maintaining a low profile, as the priest fears how people will respond to his non-Brahmin identity. The priest had joined the temple three months ago. As per the information given by HR and CE department, the priest appointments was made considering Agamas Shastras, after the executive officer of the temple and trustee consider applications for priest posts and conduct an interview for selection, with the condition that the candidates from Hindu religion with the required qualification can apply.
The HR and CE department followed
the Supreme Court instructions ordered in December 2015, as the government
order issued by the Karunanidhi government in 2006 allowing all caste people
with qualification and training, to become temple priests, except with
condition following Agama shastras.
Madras HC orders for no flex boards for Jayalalitha's Birthday Reportedly ahead of Former Chief Minister and AIADMK supreme Jayalalitha’s birth anniversary, the Madras High Court on Wednesday refused to relax its ban on registered political parties installing flex boards, digital banners or placards on arterial roads in or any other roads in the State. Recently a Division Bench comprising of Justices M Sathyanarayanan and M Nirmal Kumar rejected
- From March 3, eateries no longer allowed to reuse cooking oil more than 3 times
- New deadline for commissioning Kerala's Vizinjam Port extended to October 2020
- COAI feels new regulations are vague to violate privacy of users
- Overall Vegetable prices in January declined 4.21%
- BJP to make alliance announcement soon: Piyush Goyal
- Priyanka Chopra, Nick had great time on Valentines Day
- Dewan Housing Finance shares slumped to an intraday low of Rs. 103.95
- Ooty Lake to be cleaned soon
- TN soldier's family and village saddened by death!
- #PulwamaTerroristAttack - Brave Father's inspiring quote after son's death in Pulwama!
- Suicide bomber was 11th class dropout!
- School girl murder mystery resolved!
- Air India flights to Iraq begins operations after 30 years
- Dhanush congratulated Sai Pallavi for beating her own record saying 200 Million
- Protest shutdown against terror attack affects life in Jammu