According to sources the French parliament rejected on Tuesday a pair of no-confidence motions brought against the government of President Emmanuel Macron in connection with a scandal involving his now former bodyguard. As per report “The first proposal, put forward by the conservative Republicans, garnered 143 votes in the National Assembly, fewer than half the 289 required to pass, while only 74 lawmakers supported the second motion, submitted by the Socialists, Communists and the leftist France Insoumise (France Unbowed) party”.
Even though the conservatives and the left abstained on each other's motions, even their combined total 217 would have fallen far short of the 289 vote thresh hold. Moreover the no-confidence motions were widely viewed as symbolic, given that Macron's centrist La Republique En Marche (The Republic on the Move) has an absolute majority in the assembly.
Furthermore during the debate ahead of the
votes, Prime Minister Edouard Philippe defended the Macron government's response
to video footage published by Le Monde that showed presidential bodyguard
Alexandre Benalla, 26, beating protesters at a 2018 May Day demonstration. Philippe
told lawmakers "The events of May 1 say nothing about the presidency of
the republic, and attempts to blame the president serve no interest other than
Cyclone Alert over west-central Bay of Bengal: IMD Accordingly a cyclone alert has been issued for the northern coastal region of the state of Andhra Pradesh with the Indian Meteorological Department predicting 'very heavy to extremely heavy' rains in the region. Meanwhile the IMD has stated that depression has formed over west-central Bay of Bengal which could intensify into a cyclonic storm.
- Why BJP spoiled alliance between TDP and TRS?
- Pakistan ready to discuss terrorism, Imran Khan pens PM Modi
- Bilateral dialogue between Washington & Pyongyang stalled on how to move denuclearization process
- Signing up for the credit line to receive Instant access on Flipkart
- Train Services stopped at Kerala, Bengaluru & Coastal Karnataka resumes
- Mis-happening at Jet Airways focus Mumbai to Jaipur
- Police tightens grip on H Raja!
- Karunas blackmails police!
- HAL former chief on Rafel controversy!
- Coimbatore college Managing Director's Cheap act!
- AICC names leaders for 10 election related committees
- Stormy Daniels claimed that US President has 'an unusual penis'
- Can we know in advance about the condition & intensity of rains?
- Moon's mediation & Kim's commitment at summit satisfied Washington
- India complaints on Brutal killing of BSF Soldier by Pakistan troopers