Accordingly an operation was underway on Tuesday to evacuate thousands of tourists who were stranded after a deadly earthquake jolted Indonesia's Lombok Island killing 98 people and injuring over 200 others. Recently a video released by authorities showed hundreds of people, many believed to be foreign tourists, crammed onto a beach on the island of Gili Trawangan as evacuation measures got underway.
Moreover the island famous for its white sandy beaches and clear waters is located near the epicenter of the 6.9 magnitude quake on Lombok that struck on Sunday evening. Earlier rescue efforts were hampered by shallow waters, but rising sea waters have paved the way for nine ships to dock on Gili Island. So far, up to 2,700 tourists have been moved from the Gili Island. Presently Lombok's airport was open around the clock and had significantly increased its flight schedule.
Further the epicenter of the quake was in northern
Lombok, a more residential, less developed part of the island and the majority
of Lombok's tourist resorts are on the island's southern coast and an estimated
20,000 people have been displaced by the massive earthquake. Reports added rescue
teams on Tuesday also continued searching under debris from collapsing
buildings for more survivors.
CBI & ED likely to issue summons for questioning former ICICI Bank CEO Chanda Kochhar According to report CBI sources said former ICICI Bank CEO and MD Chanda Kochhar, her husband Deepak Kochhar and industrialist V.N. Dhoot in connection with the Rs 3,250 crore loan case involving the Videocon Group and ICICI Bank. Meanwhile the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) sources said the agency would initiate the summons as it had completed the scrutiny of documents
- SED of Tamilnadu mulling introducing board exams for classes 5 & 8
- Will YS Jagan become CM of AP as per survey?
- BJP leader wants Kanyakumari!
- Viral video of school students in trains!
- Measures were taken to stop water to Pakistan!
- Kamal says Thiruvarur gave family politics!
- Trump made no mention of China or Huawei, steps back from threat of full ban
- Fight between Swiggy & Zomato extends to takeover of Uber Eats
- Summer Season to be hotter than normal in Karnataka
- Congress questions BJP as either PM was completely oblivious to Pulwama attack
- Why Vijayakanth pretty unhappy with BJP-AIADMK response to DMDK ambition?
- YSRCP attacks TDP saying AP has 59 Lakh Fake Voters
- Telangana Govt announces Rs.25 Lakhs to Families of Pulwama attack jawans
- 2019 Elections testing waters for YS Jagan's stamina
- Animosity between AP people & Central government out in the open