According to sources Tamilnadu Revenue and Disaster Management Department Minister RB Udayakumar spoke to the media in Chennai and stated that people have been evacuated from the low lying areas of Salem, Erode, and Namakkal districts following flood alerts issued in parts of the state. Meanwhile as per report heavy rains in Karnataka have resulted in the filling of the Mettur reservoir to its maximum capacity of 120 feet and the influx of water into the dam is at 1.3 lakh cusecs.
Accordingly the minister stated that inter-department zonal disaster management teams have been called to monitor the situation as the water release from Mettur reservoir has reached 1.35 lakh cusecs. Meanwhile an advisory has been issued to villagers living along the Cauvery River to maintain a safe distance and to not go into the river for bathing, fishing or any other tasks.
Presently heavy rains are expected in the districts of Nilgiris,
Coimbatore, Theni, Dindigul and Tirunelveli on Monday and Tuesday, as per the
Met Department. Previously in Trichy, PWD officials have begun to release
excess water flowing in from the Mettur reservoir into the Kollidam River,
rendering it to a total of 71,000 cusecs from 18,000 as of Sunday evening and the
state government has also instructed local bodies to erect warning boards on
either side of low level bridges and causeways about the flood situation.
136 people died after a ferry capsized on Lake Victoria, Tanzania Accordingly many are missing and it is feared that more than 200 people in total may have drowned. Rescue efforts resumed on Friday after being halted overnight. As per report the MV Nyerere ferry overturned near Ukara Island on its way from Bugorora. Meanwhile it is thought the overloaded vessel tipped over when crowds on board moved to one side as it docked.
- Karnataka CM Kumaraswamy called for a Revolt against BJP
- Balapur Laddu sets a new Record as it fetches Rs.16.6 Lakhs in Auction!
- TN Govt opened bookings for the online sale of imported sand at Thoothukudi port
- PM Narendra Modi catapulted many projects in Odisha & Chhattisgarh
- Is Chandrababu Naidu elder than PM Modi in politics?
- Will Chandrababu Naidu attend Court in Babli Case?
- India moving towards 5G: PM Modi
- "Facebook Dating" made available within social networking company's mobile app
- First Indian state to introduce Smart e-Public Distribution System (e-PDS)
- Pawan Kalyan to have 'Gelupu Rotte' to win upcoming general elections in AP
- Ajay Maken left for treatment abroad for his orthopedic ailment
- Trump participates in UNGA events & bilateral meetings from September 24-27
- Will Madras HC hear petitions challenging land acquisition in Chennai-Salem Project?
- BJP leader gets trolled!
- Kausalya consoles Amrutha Varshini!