The rains went heavy, and the floods have worsened in Kerala, as flight services have been cancelled till Saturday in the Cochin international airport, and the death toll rose to 67, as rains claimed the lives of 25 yesterday alone, 14 districts of Kerala have been issued a red alert, and from Kasaragod to Thiruvananthapuram, the shutters of 35 dams have been opened.
Chief minister Pinarayi Vijayan announced the death toll rising to 67, with 11 deaths from Malappuram alone, and he also said that the rains are getting higher in the coming days, and 1,5 lakhs people are moved to relief centers across Kerala. Vijayan also informed that he had discussed with Prime Minister Narendra Modi to seek help and relief measures with immediate effect.
Holidays have been declared for schools and other educational institutions, and the power services, communication have been totally disrupted, and the state has demanded more National disaster response force and army personnel, as the CM met governor Sathasivam and briefed him on the situation.
Tourist centers like Athirapalli, Munnar have been closed, and flight services have been canceled as well. The train services were also affected, and there were landslides in several places, delaying the trains. Kerala has now sought lifeboats from Tamilnadu, and with water scarcity, the CM has urged people to consume water minimally.
136 people died after a ferry capsized on Lake Victoria, Tanzania Accordingly many are missing and it is feared that more than 200 people in total may have drowned. Rescue efforts resumed on Friday after being halted overnight. As per report the MV Nyerere ferry overturned near Ukara Island on its way from Bugorora. Meanwhile it is thought the overloaded vessel tipped over when crowds on board moved to one side as it docked.
- Karnataka CM Kumaraswamy called for a Revolt against BJP
- Balapur Laddu sets a new Record as it fetches Rs.16.6 Lakhs in Auction!
- TN Govt opened bookings for the online sale of imported sand at Thoothukudi port
- PM Narendra Modi catapulted many projects in Odisha & Chhattisgarh
- Is Chandrababu Naidu elder than PM Modi in politics?
- Will Chandrababu Naidu attend Court in Babli Case?
- India moving towards 5G: PM Modi
- "Facebook Dating" made available within social networking company's mobile app
- First Indian state to introduce Smart e-Public Distribution System (e-PDS)
- Pawan Kalyan to have 'Gelupu Rotte' to win upcoming general elections in AP
- Ajay Maken left for treatment abroad for his orthopedic ailment
- Trump participates in UNGA events & bilateral meetings from September 24-27
- Will Madras HC hear petitions challenging land acquisition in Chennai-Salem Project?
- BJP leader gets trolled!
- Kausalya consoles Amrutha Varshini!