Sources from Panaji stated that popular ecologist Gadgil said like in some other states, Goa, too, is witnessing activities which are driven by greed for unlimited profits, who headed a committee that authored a widely debated study on the Western Ghats a few years ago. He said, reacting to the worst ever floods in the southern state that "Certainly all sorts of problems are beginning to surface on the environmental front in the Western Ghats. Goa, of course, does not have Western Ghats which are as high as in Kerala, but he is sure Goa will also experience all sorts of problems”.
He said "You have seen it in Goa too and the Union government constituted Justice M B Shah Commission has estimated illegal profits of Rs 35,000 crore from illegal mining and there is also enormous profit in the business of stone quarrying while there is very little investment”.
Meanwhile the 73 year old expert said "In Goa,
they had asked him to look into the impact of mining on environment, where every
EIA suppressed fact about hydro logical impact of mining”. Moreover "On
`sadas' (plains) of Goa there are a lot of streams which are originating but
they don't mention about them in their EIA reports. All kind of false statements
are made in these reports”.
136 people died after a ferry capsized on Lake Victoria, Tanzania Accordingly many are missing and it is feared that more than 200 people in total may have drowned. Rescue efforts resumed on Friday after being halted overnight. As per report the MV Nyerere ferry overturned near Ukara Island on its way from Bugorora. Meanwhile it is thought the overloaded vessel tipped over when crowds on board moved to one side as it docked.
- Karnataka CM Kumaraswamy called for a Revolt against BJP
- Balapur Laddu sets a new Record as it fetches Rs.16.6 Lakhs in Auction!
- TN Govt opened bookings for the online sale of imported sand at Thoothukudi port
- PM Narendra Modi catapulted many projects in Odisha & Chhattisgarh
- Is Chandrababu Naidu elder than PM Modi in politics?
- Will Chandrababu Naidu attend Court in Babli Case?
- India moving towards 5G: PM Modi
- "Facebook Dating" made available within social networking company's mobile app
- First Indian state to introduce Smart e-Public Distribution System (e-PDS)
- Pawan Kalyan to have 'Gelupu Rotte' to win upcoming general elections in AP
- Ajay Maken left for treatment abroad for his orthopedic ailment
- Trump participates in UNGA events & bilateral meetings from September 24-27
- Will Madras HC hear petitions challenging land acquisition in Chennai-Salem Project?
- BJP leader gets trolled!
- Kausalya consoles Amrutha Varshini!