The national Green Tribunal has ordered the analysis of Sterlite plant in Thoothukudi by the retired high court judge Chandru. There were widespread protests against the functioning of Sterlite copper plant run by Vedanta group in Thoothukudi, and demanding the permanent closure of the plant which had hazardous chemical leaks, leading to environmental pollution as well as health hazards for people of the locality, and the protests had turned violent on May 22, as the cops had indulged in a shootout, killing more than 13 people.
Following this unexpected killing and violent turn to the peaceful protest, on May 28, the Tamilnadu government had ordered the permanent closure and sealing of the Sterlite plant in Thoothukudi. However, Sterlite had made an appeal against the Tamilnadu government order in the national green tribunal.
The TN government had submitted a
detailed report on the environmental impacts and the health impacts caused by
Sterlite and the Pollution control board had also submitted its analysis
report based on its inspection on 16 and 17 August to the tribunal.
Following this, the green tribunal has ordered former high court judge Chandru
to inspect Sterlite plant and submit a report, and that the court should decide
based on the reports.
India moving towards 5G: PM Modi New Delhi sources stated that Prime Minister Narendra Modi said the country’s telecom sector has revived from its period of “darkness” and are among the fastest growing sectors in the country. Meanwhile when speaking at the foundation stone laying ceremony of the India International Convention and Expo Centre here
- "Facebook Dating" made available within social networking company's mobile app
- First Indian state to introduce Smart e-Public Distribution System (e-PDS)
- Pawan Kalyan to have 'Gelupu Rotte' to win upcoming general elections in AP
- Ajay Maken left for treatment abroad for his orthopedic ailment
- Trump participates in UNGA events & bilateral meetings from September 24-27
- Will Madras HC hear petitions challenging land acquisition in Chennai-Salem Project?
- BJP leader gets trolled!
- Kausalya consoles Amrutha Varshini!
- Krishnaswamy turns against Karunas!
- Daye suppression isn't the end!
- HD Kumaraswamy meets 3,000 people every week during 'Janata Darshan'
- Muslims across 31 districts of Telangana must get representation in 2018 Elections
- TN Dr. Ambedkar Law University to remove unqualified teaching staff & other staff
- Will Tamilnadu Govt make Helmet compulsory?
- Cyclone Alert over west-central Bay of Bengal: IMD