According to sources six people have been killed by floodwaters in Taiwan, officials said yesterday, after days of heavy rain forced thousands to evacuate their homes. Meanwhile a tropical depression has been dumping torrential rain in central and southern Taiwan since Thursday, with some districts receiving close to 1,000 millimeters of rainfall.
Reports added that six have died in the storm so far, according to government figures, including three who were killed by a falling scaffold in the southern city of Kaohsiung and almost 100 more were injured. Officials said more than 6,000 people were evacuated with more than 1,100 still in shelters on Saturday morning. Furthermore images showed residents in Kaohsiung and nearby Tainan wading in knee deep water, as well as soldiers in central Chiayi county carrying elderly residents and children from their flooded homes.
Moreover television footage also showed scooters and cars half-submerged
in water and roads blocked by landslides. Further although the depression has
already moved northwest away from Taiwan, floods have yet to recede in many
areas. Hence Taiwan's weather bureau said the severity of the downpour was
"extremely rare" and the island is frequently hit by typhoons in the
summer. Last year more than 100 people were injured when Typhoon Nesat battered
the island, causing flooding and widespread power outages
9 Accused in Rajkumar kidnap released! In an unexpected turn of events, the Gobichettipalayam additional bench justice Mani had ordered the release of the 9 accused who were arrested in connection to the kidnapping of Kannada superstar Rajkumar years ago. In 2000, when Kannada actor Rajkumar was in his farm house, he was kidnapped by Sandalwood smuggling expert Veerappan, on July 30, in Erode's Thottagajanur near Thaalavadi.
- Trump speech right to dispute allegations by Stormy Daniels on Twitter
- Amit Shah launched a blistering attack on Congress at Bhopal
- Chennai Snake Park to design App for snake bite treatment
- Will TN people join Dr. Tamilisai Soundararajan for nominating PM Modi for Nobel Peace Prize?
- Incessant rain triggered flash floods & landslides in Northern India
- MD, New VP of India Operations appointed by FB
- Bengaluru to receive heavy rain this week
- Will Harish get more majority to KCR in the ensuing elections?
- TPCC Working President confident SB Congress winning in Telangana
- Mother of one of 7 convicts in Rajiv Gandhi assassination case met TN Governor
- Maoist killers identified!
- Telangana Governor follows new way in saving Fuel
- Case against Tamilisai soon!
- Hyderabad Metro Rail carries 85,000 Passengers daily
- Baba on moon? Truth or fake?