Thiruvananthapuram sources stated that previously Mahatma Gandhi had termed the misery of the people as "unimaginable" and stepped in to mobilize over Rs 6,000 to help them, records show. Meanwhile if the present rain fury has claimed over 290 lives and displaced over 10 lakh people, the massive floods that crippled the state in July 1924 are believed to have claimed a large number of lives and caused widespread destruction.
Accordingly Mahatma Gandhi, through a series of articles in his publications 'Young India' and 'Navajivan', had urged people of the country to generously contribute for the relief of the flood hit' Malabar' (Kerala). Meanwhile following his appeal, people from various walks of life including women and children had donated even their gold jewels and meager savings to help the flood affected people. According to the journals penned by him “Many had skipped a meal daily or given up milk to find money to contribute to relief fund mobilized by Gandhi”.
Earlier the "Father of the Nation" had mentioned in one of his
articles in 'Navajivan' about a girl who had stolen three paisa to contribute
to the relief fund.Presently from school children to corporate giants, all are
contributing to the relief fund to help rebuild the flood hit state, whose loss
has been estimated to be over Rs 20,000.
Cyclone Alert over west-central Bay of Bengal: IMD Accordingly a cyclone alert has been issued for the northern coastal region of the state of Andhra Pradesh with the Indian Meteorological Department predicting 'very heavy to extremely heavy' rains in the region. Meanwhile the IMD has stated that depression has formed over west-central Bay of Bengal which could intensify into a cyclonic storm.
- Why BJP spoiled alliance between TDP and TRS?
- Pakistan ready to discuss terrorism, Imran Khan pens PM Modi
- Bilateral dialogue between Washington & Pyongyang stalled on how to move denuclearization process
- Signing up for the credit line to receive Instant access on Flipkart
- Train Services stopped at Kerala, Bengaluru & Coastal Karnataka resumes
- Mis-happening at Jet Airways focus Mumbai to Jaipur
- Police tightens grip on H Raja!
- Karunas blackmails police!
- HAL former chief on Rafel controversy!
- Coimbatore college Managing Director's Cheap act!
- AICC names leaders for 10 election related committees
- Stormy Daniels claimed that US President has 'an unusual penis'
- Can we know in advance about the condition & intensity of rains?
- Moon's mediation & Kim's commitment at summit satisfied Washington
- India complaints on Brutal killing of BSF Soldier by Pakistan troopers