According to sources when the sluice gates of Cheruthoni dam were opened on August 9 to release excess water in the Idukki reservoir, the subsequent floods and landslides took with it several lives, houses and shops at the banks of Cheruthoni and Periyar River in the district. Meanwhile even small bridges in the district were washed away, barring the Cheruthoni Bridge, which continues to remain intact, without any damage.
Furthermore it is perhaps one of the bridges in the state that survived the massive floods that hit Kerala. Reports added although the approach road of the bridge was destroyed, the Cheruthoni dam, which was submerged in the massive water flow, has not sustained any major cracks or developed any issues, say officials, who inspected the bridge.
Moreover some of the
small bridges constructed by panchayats and district panchayats in
Thadiyampadu, Vimalagiri, Periyarvalley, Karimpan and Vellakkayam have been
totally washed out. Accordingly some these include Attukakad Bridge in
Pallivasal and Deviyar Bridge in Munnar and the Aladi-Porikanni Bridge in
Upputhata. Meanwhile even the widely shared video of Attukad Bridge, near
Munnar in Idukki district, collapsing showed the extent of the damage. He said
“A dam expert will inspect the bridge on Monday and as the approach roads are
washed out by the flood, it will be a hurdle to resume the traffic in full
level. The construction works of the approach roads have already begun”.
Will Chandrababu Naidu attend Court in Babli Case? Dharmabad sources made a statement that in a jolt to Andhra Pradesh CM Nara Chandrababu Naidu and the Dharmbad Court yesterday rejected the recall petition filed by the advocates who represented him. Meanwhile in connection with the Babli project protests case, the Court ordered that Chandrababu, despite being a Chief Minister, should attend the Court proceedings.
- India moving towards 5G: PM Modi
- "Facebook Dating" made available within social networking company's mobile app
- First Indian state to introduce Smart e-Public Distribution System (e-PDS)
- Pawan Kalyan to have 'Gelupu Rotte' to win upcoming general elections in AP
- Ajay Maken left for treatment abroad for his orthopedic ailment
- Trump participates in UNGA events & bilateral meetings from September 24-27
- Will Madras HC hear petitions challenging land acquisition in Chennai-Salem Project?
- BJP leader gets trolled!
- Kausalya consoles Amrutha Varshini!
- Krishnaswamy turns against Karunas!
- Daye suppression isn't the end!
- HD Kumaraswamy meets 3,000 people every week during 'Janata Darshan'
- Muslims across 31 districts of Telangana must get representation in 2018 Elections
- TN Dr. Ambedkar Law University to remove unqualified teaching staff & other staff
- Will Tamilnadu Govt make Helmet compulsory?