According to sources when the sluice gates of Cheruthoni dam were opened on August 9 to release excess water in the Idukki reservoir, the subsequent floods and landslides took with it several lives, houses and shops at the banks of Cheruthoni and Periyar River in the district. Meanwhile even small bridges in the district were washed away, barring the Cheruthoni Bridge, which continues to remain intact, without any damage.
Furthermore it is perhaps one of the bridges in the state that survived the massive floods that hit Kerala. Reports added although the approach road of the bridge was destroyed, the Cheruthoni dam, which was submerged in the massive water flow, has not sustained any major cracks or developed any issues, say officials, who inspected the bridge.
Moreover some of the
small bridges constructed by panchayats and district panchayats in
Thadiyampadu, Vimalagiri, Periyarvalley, Karimpan and Vellakkayam have been
totally washed out. Accordingly some these include Attukakad Bridge in
Pallivasal and Deviyar Bridge in Munnar and the Aladi-Porikanni Bridge in
Upputhata. Meanwhile even the widely shared video of Attukad Bridge, near
Munnar in Idukki district, collapsing showed the extent of the damage. He said
“A dam expert will inspect the bridge on Monday and as the approach roads are
washed out by the flood, it will be a hurdle to resume the traffic in full
level. The construction works of the approach roads have already begun”.
Bengaluru likely to receive rainfall on November 16-17 & 22-23 As per report Bengaluru, Mysuru and a few other places in southern Karnataka are expected to receive rain showers this week due to the influence of cyclone Gaja, set to make landfall in Tamilnadu on Wednesday. Meanwhile the Karnataka State Natural Disaster Monitoring Centre (KSNDMC) has predicted cloudy weather with light rains in Bengaluru on November 16.
- Swiggy plans to deploy Women as delivery personnel across India
- Has AP government misused Tirumala Tirupathi temple funds?
- Sexual abuser arrested finally!
- Infosys founder supports Modi!
- Downfall of Rajapakse govt!
- Gaja reaches Chennai!
- SC to hear 49 Review Petitions in Sabarimala Temple case
- PM Narendra Modi is in Singapore for East Asia Summit
- Melania Trump explicitly Donald Trump to oust Mira Ricardel
- Will traffic be ensured safely during rallies & processions?
- Sonali Bandre thanked her Hubby on their wedding day
- Sehwag challenges Kohli can't do it!
- Ice seller tries to commit suicide!
- Rajinikanth's sudden press meet!
- Gaja storm takes extreme speed!