As Ganesh Charturthi falls at the end of the monsoon season, villagers would gather bits of clay that had washed up around their rivers. They would worship this clay in their homes (as a celebration of the fertility of the Earth), and then return the clay to the river. As the practice evolved, the clay was molded into shapes of idols and, of course, Lord Ganesha.
The modern explanation, however, has more political roots and can be traced to Bal Gangadhar “Lokmanya” Tilak one of the early leaders of the Indian Independence Movement. Tilak, a staunch Hindu nationalist, popularized Ganesh Chaturthi as a public holiday associating the “removal of obstacles” with the removal of the British Raj.
Sadly, the original (small) natural clay idols have
been eclipsed with fancy plaster of paris and plastic idols which are ecologically toxic on several levels.
So far, 4 states (Tamilnadu, Gujarat, Maharashtra, and Goa) have banned
immersion of plaster of paris idols in waters. Religiously speaking, the
immersion (Visarjan) is a send
off of Ganesha to Kailash. On a philosophical level, it can be said that we give a shape to “God”
that which is infinite and formless through the Earth’s clay and mud, invite
and worship this form in our home, and then release this image back into the
water to become formless once again.
Pandya injured - Damage for India? During the Asia cup match between India and Pakistan held yesterday at Dubai, Indian had lost the toss, and Pakistan batted first. Yesterday, India had played against Hong Kong, and had won the match in a thrilling way after Hong Kong failed to capitalize on the great start they had as they lost by 26 runs. While India had limped to win yesterday, people were keen on what India is gonna do against a strong Pakistan team.
- Hima Das name nominated for Arjuna Award
- Korean Presidents signs agreement to Ease Tension
- Ambati questioned Chandrababu's motive behind involving in affairs of TRS party
- Stormy Daniels provides a graphic description of Trump's genitalia
- Rahul Gandhi called Congress Workers been Lathi charged as "dictatorship under PM Modi"
- Saudi Arabia auctions real estates of billionaire Maan al-Sanea
- In 2019 Lok Sabha polls, people will defeat BJP: Mamata Banerjee
- MK Stalin launched scathing attack on Edappadi Palaniswami leveling corruption charges