As Ganesh Charturthi falls at the end of the monsoon season, villagers would gather bits of clay that had washed up around their rivers. They would worship this clay in their homes (as a celebration of the fertility of the Earth), and then return the clay to the river. As the practice evolved, the clay was molded into shapes of idols and, of course, Lord Ganesha.
The modern explanation, however, has more political roots and can be traced to Bal Gangadhar “Lokmanya” Tilak one of the early leaders of the Indian Independence Movement. Tilak, a staunch Hindu nationalist, popularized Ganesh Chaturthi as a public holiday associating the “removal of obstacles” with the removal of the British Raj.
Sadly, the original (small) natural clay idols have
been eclipsed with fancy plaster of paris and plastic idols which are ecologically toxic on several levels.
So far, 4 states (Tamilnadu, Gujarat, Maharashtra, and Goa) have banned
immersion of plaster of paris idols in waters. Religiously speaking, the
immersion (Visarjan) is a send
off of Ganesha to Kailash. On a philosophical level, it can be said that we give a shape to “God”
that which is infinite and formless through the Earth’s clay and mud, invite
and worship this form in our home, and then release this image back into the
water to become formless once again.
Animosity between AP people & Central government out in the open As per report the situation between Andhra Pradesh and Centre got worse when the Telugu Desam Party decided to break off ties with the BJP and walked out of the NDA government early last year. Meanwhile ever since the break-up, Andhra Pradesh has been getting a raw deal from the Centre. Furthermore the BJP High Command's interference in ensuring that AP is at a disadvantaged position, added to the already existing tension.
- FIR registered against Pakistani actor wife refusing anti-polio drops to their daughter
- Jr NTR to be brand ambassador for Appy Fizz in South India
- History Maker: Madhusudhan Rao Founder of Lanco Infratech
- Public exam for 5th and 8th class!
- Bank fraudsters caught in Chennai!
- Party members threatening to leave DMDK!
- DMK and Congress Unite!
- Network integration process of Vodafone Idea is on track by June 2020
- Revanth Reddy copycats KCRs style
- Lockheed Martin unveiled F-21 to boost India manufacturing in defense sector
- Hearing in Sunanda Pushkar death case began on February 21
- Will Captain Vijayakanth take alliance decision soon?
- Funny!!! Vietnam Barber expert in Trump & Kim Hairstyles
- How Chennai Swiggy Customer gets order delivery from Rajasthan?
- Tiktok committed to safe & positive in-app environment for users in India