Devotees keep a partial or day long fast on this day. They and eat only fruits, vegetables and root plants throughout the day. Peanuts, potatoes and sabudana khichdi are prepared especially to mark this day's fasting. The day's fasting is broken only after the main pooja is done.
The main puja of the day is done in the evening, after the moon is visible. The idol of Lord Ganesha is worshiped with Durva grass, fresh flowers and incense sticks. Lamps are lit, and devotees read the "vrat katha" specific to the month in which the Chaturthi is. The rituals for this day end with the sighting of the moon.
Special sweets or naivedya, including modaks, are
offered to the deity during the pooja. After the katha and aarti, these sweets
are distributed as prasad. Apart from worshiping Lord Ganesha, the moon is also
worshiped on Sankashti Chaturthi. Water, chandan or sandalwood paste, rice and
flowers are offered in the direction of the moon. Finally reciting the Vedic
hymns or mantras devoted to Lord Ganesha garners blessings on this day.
Devotees chant the Ganesha Ashtothra, Sankashtnashana sthothra and Vakrathunda
Mahakaya especially on Sankashti Chaturthi.
Madras HC orders for no flex boards for Jayalalitha's Birthday Reportedly ahead of Former Chief Minister and AIADMK supreme Jayalalitha’s birth anniversary, the Madras High Court on Wednesday refused to relax its ban on registered political parties installing flex boards, digital banners or placards on arterial roads in or any other roads in the State. Recently a Division Bench comprising of Justices M Sathyanarayanan and M Nirmal Kumar rejected
- From March 3, eateries no longer allowed to reuse cooking oil more than 3 times
- New deadline for commissioning Kerala's Vizinjam Port extended to October 2020
- COAI feels new regulations are vague to violate privacy of users
- Overall Vegetable prices in January declined 4.21%
- BJP to make alliance announcement soon: Piyush Goyal
- Priyanka Chopra, Nick had great time on Valentines Day
- Dewan Housing Finance shares slumped to an intraday low of Rs. 103.95
- Ooty Lake to be cleaned soon
- TN soldier's family and village saddened by death!
- #PulwamaTerroristAttack - Brave Father's inspiring quote after son's death in Pulwama!
- Suicide bomber was 11th class dropout!
- School girl murder mystery resolved!
- Air India flights to Iraq begins operations after 30 years
- Dhanush congratulated Sai Pallavi for beating her own record saying 200 Million
- Protest shutdown against terror attack affects life in Jammu