Devotees keep a partial or day long fast on this day. They and eat only fruits, vegetables and root plants throughout the day. Peanuts, potatoes and sabudana khichdi are prepared especially to mark this day's fasting. The day's fasting is broken only after the main pooja is done.
The main puja of the day is done in the evening, after the moon is visible. The idol of Lord Ganesha is worshiped with Durva grass, fresh flowers and incense sticks. Lamps are lit, and devotees read the "vrat katha" specific to the month in which the Chaturthi is. The rituals for this day end with the sighting of the moon.
Special sweets or naivedya, including modaks, are
offered to the deity during the pooja. After the katha and aarti, these sweets
are distributed as prasad. Apart from worshiping Lord Ganesha, the moon is also
worshiped on Sankashti Chaturthi. Water, chandan or sandalwood paste, rice and
flowers are offered in the direction of the moon. Finally reciting the Vedic
hymns or mantras devoted to Lord Ganesha garners blessings on this day.
Devotees chant the Ganesha Ashtothra, Sankashtnashana sthothra and Vakrathunda
Mahakaya especially on Sankashti Chaturthi.
PM Modi felicitated winning teams of Singapore-India Hackathon Singapore sources reported that Prime Minister Narendra Modi today felicitated the six winning teams, including three from India, of the first India-Singapore Hackathon, a platform for the youth of the two countries to harness and showcase their innovations. Accordingly the top six teams, three each from India and Singapore, participated in a 36 hour Hackathon Grande Finale in Singapore.
- Social Activist Trupti Desai urged PM ensuring security for her visit to Sabarimala Temple
- Karunanidhi's Life Size Statue to be unveiled on December 16
- . Indian-American to replace Justice Brett Kavanaugh on DC Circuit Court of Appeals
- Gaja impacts throughout the state!
- Smriti Trolls DeepVeer!
- 13 year old dies in boxing contest!
- TN govt ready to face Gaja!
- Automated baggage check-in facility introduced for passengers in Bengaluru Airport
- Railway suspects passengers for missing Bed sheets & Towels in A/c Coaches
- KCR has No Loans, No Cars in his name
- Pawan Kalyans shocking comments on BJP
- Multi pronged strategy adopted by Telangana Cops to prevent Maoists threat
- Rahul Gandhi slams PM Modi & Anil Ambani in Rafael Deal
- Cyclone Gaja expected with more anticipation in Chennai
- Deepika-Ranveer MARRIED in Italy