Chennai sources added that as rates of petrol and diesel touched new highs on Friday, the Taminadu government ruled out a tax cut citing welfare measures and put the onus on the Centre to give any relief to the common man. Meanwhile Fisheries Minister D Jayakumar said the state government was delivering various welfare measures to the tune of Rs 77,000 crore and hinted that lowering taxes on petroleum products may cause difficulty for continued delivery of sops.
As per report for the central government, which collects tax from many sources, it is not a big thing at all (to affect a tax cut). He told reporters “The central excise duty of about Rs 16 per litre (on diesel) can be halved to Rs 8 which will be a big relief and this is the plea of the Amma government," he said referring to the Tamilnadu government. Earlier on Friday, one litre of petrol in this city was being sold at Rs 83.13 while diesel cost Rs 76.17.
Furthermore the rising fuel prices have triggered a political
debate, with the Congress announcing a nation-wide shutdown on September 10
against the spiraling rates. Accordingly the Centre has said it will not cut
excise duty on petrol and diesel to cushion the spiraling prices, citing
limited fiscal space available to take any dent in revenue collections.
PM Modi felicitated winning teams of Singapore-India Hackathon Singapore sources reported that Prime Minister Narendra Modi today felicitated the six winning teams, including three from India, of the first India-Singapore Hackathon, a platform for the youth of the two countries to harness and showcase their innovations. Accordingly the top six teams, three each from India and Singapore, participated in a 36 hour Hackathon Grande Finale in Singapore.
- Social Activist Trupti Desai urged PM ensuring security for her visit to Sabarimala Temple
- Karunanidhi's Life Size Statue to be unveiled on December 16
- . Indian-American to replace Justice Brett Kavanaugh on DC Circuit Court of Appeals
- Gaja impacts throughout the state!
- Smriti Trolls DeepVeer!
- 13 year old dies in boxing contest!
- TN govt ready to face Gaja!
- Automated baggage check-in facility introduced for passengers in Bengaluru Airport
- Railway suspects passengers for missing Bed sheets & Towels in A/c Coaches
- KCR has No Loans, No Cars in his name
- Pawan Kalyans shocking comments on BJP
- Multi pronged strategy adopted by Telangana Cops to prevent Maoists threat
- Rahul Gandhi slams PM Modi & Anil Ambani in Rafael Deal
- Cyclone Gaja expected with more anticipation in Chennai
- Deepika-Ranveer MARRIED in Italy