Chennai sources added that as rates of petrol and diesel touched new highs on Friday, the Taminadu government ruled out a tax cut citing welfare measures and put the onus on the Centre to give any relief to the common man. Meanwhile Fisheries Minister D Jayakumar said the state government was delivering various welfare measures to the tune of Rs 77,000 crore and hinted that lowering taxes on petroleum products may cause difficulty for continued delivery of sops.
As per report for the central government, which collects tax from many sources, it is not a big thing at all (to affect a tax cut). He told reporters “The central excise duty of about Rs 16 per litre (on diesel) can be halved to Rs 8 which will be a big relief and this is the plea of the Amma government," he said referring to the Tamilnadu government. Earlier on Friday, one litre of petrol in this city was being sold at Rs 83.13 while diesel cost Rs 76.17.
Furthermore the rising fuel prices have triggered a political
debate, with the Congress announcing a nation-wide shutdown on September 10
against the spiraling rates. Accordingly the Centre has said it will not cut
excise duty on petrol and diesel to cushion the spiraling prices, citing
limited fiscal space available to take any dent in revenue collections.
Special Focus Hide
4 soldiers die in a fight! Earlier yesterday morning, the defense forces had a gunfight with militants in terrorist prone Pulwama area in Jammu and Kashmir, and in this fight, 4 soldiers lost their lives. Today morning, the defense forces started an encounter operation against terrorists hiding in Pinglan area of Pulwama district.
- Kamal slams Rajinikanth
- KPN Travels - A Bus Service which would make you regret
- Pulwama attacker's father blames Indian security forces for his son turning into terrorist
- Telangana will have 33 districts from now onwards
- Police arrested Kashmiri student for making insensitive posts about Pulwama terror attack
- Mamata Banerjee condemned Pulwama attack, strong action against Pakistan
- Rajinikanth warned Media not to use his photograph for LS Polls 2019
- Pakistan Authorities cancelled registration of a school for playing Indian song & Flag
- Contribute to CRPF Families through this websites
- EPS spends 15 crores on ads!
- Chinnathambi locked in cage!
- No to BJP says Sarathkumar!
- Student thanks minister for slipper
- BIG BREAKING - Supreme court dismisses Vedanta 's plea to reopen #Sterlite plant in Tuticorin
- Cryptocurrency - The basics and all you need to know