The Delhi High Court on Monday i.e on 09.09.2018 dismissed the pleas of Congress leaders
Sonia Gandhi and Its President Rahul Gandhi challenging reopening of their tax
assessments for 2011-12. A bench of Justices S Ravindra Bhat
and A K Chawla said, "The writ petitions have failed." The bench also dismissed the petition of Congress leader Oscar Fernandes
who too had challenged reopening of his tax assessment for the same year. The high court had on August 16 this year reserved, its order on the pleas of the 3 leaders, after the Income Tax Department had contended that Rahul Gandhi's
tax assessment for 2011-12 was re-opened as material facts were concealed.
The bench had orally asked the tax department not to take any coercive step against Sonia, Rahul and Fernandes till pronouncement of its verdict. Senior advocate P Chidambaram, appearing for Sonia Gandhi, had said, he had faith in the oral statement made by the Additional Solicitor General Tushar Mehta. Mehta had argued that the Congress leaders had alleged mala-fide on the part of the tax department but had not made any arguments in this regard.
The income tax cases against the Congress leaders have arisen from the probe into the private criminal complaint filed by BJP leader Subramania Swamy before a trial court in connection with the National Herald case. In the complaint, Sonia, Rahul and others have been accused of conspiring to cheat and misappropriate funds by paying just Rs 50 lakh, through which the Young India (Y I) had obtained the right to recover Rs 90.25 crore that the Associated Journals Ltd (A J L) owed to the Congress party.
It was alleged that Y I, which was incorporated in November 2010 with a capital of Rs 50 lakh, had acquired almost all shareholdings of the A J L, which was running the National Herald newspaper. In this process, Y I had also acquired A J L's debt of Rs 90 crore. The tax department had said the shares Rahul has in YI would lead him to have an income of Rs 154 crore and not about Rs 68 lakh, as was assessed earlier. It has already issued a demand notice for Rs 249.15 crore to YI for the assessment year 2011-12.
The department's move followed its probe on a complaint alleging that the Gandhis had misappropriated AJL's assets around ₹1600 to ₹2000 crores while transfer -ring their shares to the newly formed Young India Pvt Ltd.
PMK ropes in an actor! A significant event has happened in the history of Pattali Makkal katchi party, and it is that the party has given an important role to actor Ranjith. Doctor Ramadoss, the leader of PMK has been a leader who fights for the rights of farmers, fights for the language, and with huge experience in politics, had also been conferred the doctorate.
- You will be shocked to know Modi's asset value - No Cars or Houses!
- Apollo's shocker on CCTV!
- Pandya injured - Damage for India?
- Hima Das name nominated for Arjuna Award
- Korean Presidents signs agreement to Ease Tension
- Ambati questioned Chandrababu's motive behind involving in affairs of TRS party
- Stormy Daniels provides a graphic description of Trump's genitalia
- Rahul Gandhi called Congress Workers been Lathi charged as "dictatorship under PM Modi"
- Saudi Arabia auctions real estates of billionaire Maan al-Sanea
- In 2019 Lok Sabha polls, people will defeat BJP: Mamata Banerjee
- MK Stalin launched scathing attack on Edappadi Palaniswami leveling corruption charges
- Trump imposes additional tariffs on China from September 24
- Who is the Baahubali of Telangana?
- Yusaku Maezawa, founder & CEO of Zozo, First Tourist to Moon
- Domestic fuel prices continued to scale new height