The Delhi High Court on Monday i.e on 09.09.2018 dismissed the pleas of Congress leaders
Sonia Gandhi and Its President Rahul Gandhi challenging reopening of their tax
assessments for 2011-12. A bench of Justices S Ravindra Bhat
and A K Chawla said, "The writ petitions have failed." The bench also dismissed the petition of Congress leader Oscar Fernandes
who too had challenged reopening of his tax assessment for the same year. The high court had on August 16 this year reserved, its order on the pleas of the 3 leaders, after the Income Tax Department had contended that Rahul Gandhi's
tax assessment for 2011-12 was re-opened as material facts were concealed.
The bench had orally asked the tax department not to take any coercive step against Sonia, Rahul and Fernandes till pronouncement of its verdict. Senior advocate P Chidambaram, appearing for Sonia Gandhi, had said, he had faith in the oral statement made by the Additional Solicitor General Tushar Mehta. Mehta had argued that the Congress leaders had alleged mala-fide on the part of the tax department but had not made any arguments in this regard.
The income tax cases against the Congress leaders have arisen from the probe into the private criminal complaint filed by BJP leader Subramania Swamy before a trial court in connection with the National Herald case. In the complaint, Sonia, Rahul and others have been accused of conspiring to cheat and misappropriate funds by paying just Rs 50 lakh, through which the Young India (Y I) had obtained the right to recover Rs 90.25 crore that the Associated Journals Ltd (A J L) owed to the Congress party.
It was alleged that Y I, which was incorporated in November 2010 with a capital of Rs 50 lakh, had acquired almost all shareholdings of the A J L, which was running the National Herald newspaper. In this process, Y I had also acquired A J L's debt of Rs 90 crore. The tax department had said the shares Rahul has in YI would lead him to have an income of Rs 154 crore and not about Rs 68 lakh, as was assessed earlier. It has already issued a demand notice for Rs 249.15 crore to YI for the assessment year 2011-12.
The department's move followed its probe on a complaint alleging that the Gandhis had misappropriated AJL's assets around ₹1600 to ₹2000 crores while transfer -ring their shares to the newly formed Young India Pvt Ltd.
TRS MP Kavita selected for Fame India Extraordinary Parliamentarian award 2019 According to sources Nizamabad TRS MP and Founding President, Telangana Jagruthi NGO, Kalvakuntla Kavitha was recently selected for the Fame India Extraordinary Parliamentarian award 2019. Meanwhile as part of the Fame India-Asia Post magazine Adarsh division which conducts a survey called the Shresht Sansad Survey, she was selected for this prestigious award.
- India's first ever all women political party launched in Mumbai
- Picture of an antiseptic labeled cough syrup with logo of Govt of Tamilnadu went viral
- Imran Khan is agent of change Senator Lindsey Graham looking for
- Politics in Andhra Pradesh are turning Hot each day
- TTD endeavors to ease Darshan for Children & Senior Citizens
- Hyderabad Auto drivers facing a tough competition from Uber & Ola
- Actor Ajith pens to his Fans to concentrate in Studies
- Zomato suspended Restaurant for adding Plastic in Paneer Dish
- Government of Tamilnadu is Executing Agency of Chennai peripheral Ring Road project
- Major fire accident broke out in Vizag Steel Plant
- Why Mehul Choksi surrendered Indian Citizenship?
- Tamilisai bats for TN CM!
- World's cutest dog passes away!
- Politician - Actress Divya Spandana trolled!
- Tamilisai plan to exploit Thala fans!