Several special rituals take place on the day of Ashtami, like the famous 'Astra Puja', which is a custom to worship Goddess Durga's weapons with which she defeated the powerful buffalo demon Mahisasura.
is said that it was on the day of Ashtami, after a long drawn battle between
Goddess Durga and Mahishasura, Goddess Kali appeared from Durga's forehead to
annihilate Mahishasura's demons Chanda, Munda and Rakthabija. Therefore on this
day, Ashta Nayikas, or the eight forms or incarnations of shakti together forming the divine power are
worshiped in the form of Durga.
Another common ritual
followed across the country is that of Kanya pooja or Kanjak. In Kanjak or Kanya Puja, nine girls are welcomed
into the house by first washing their feet and then tying moli (red thread) around
their wrists. These girls are seated in a line and given halwa, poori and chole (also known
as 'bhog') along with all kinds of gifts: pencil boxes, hair clips, clothes etc.
Do you about this Famous Brihadeeshwara Temple? Thanjavur Brihadeeswara temple is one of the most ancient temples, situated in the city of Thanjavur in Tamil Nadu, India. Thanjavur named after the legendary asura "Tanjan", is one of the ancient temples in India. In ancient days, Thanjavur known as “The rice bowl of Tamilnadu,” was an important city to the ancient Cholas.
- Hindus follows special fasting days of the week
- Temple is a place filled with Positive Vibrations
- Tirumala Information : 14.02.2018
- Goddess Lakshmi in many avatars
- Tirumala information : 13.02.2013
- Hinduism is diverse religion across globe
- Chandra Darshan is a rare scenario, more beneficial
- Do you visit temple on a regular basis?
- Doing Pooja at home is a must
- Auspicious Tamil Month Thai is full of festivals
- Tamil New Year marks special year for Tamilians
- Reasons that Supreme God is a reality
- Tulsi plant is considered sacred in Hinduism
- 'Gayatri Mantra' reciting every morning develops our personality
- Todays Tirumala samacharam : 22.01.2018