The first test match of India's tour of England, held at Birmingham, began with England winning the toss and opting to bat first. The Indian bowlers made early inroads, as spinner Ravichandran Ashwin scalped the prized wicket of opener Alistair cook for 13(28).
However, Jennings and skipper Joe Root stood firm, forging a partnership, and scored patient knocks, before Mohammad Shami claimed Jennings for 42(98). Shami then claimed Malan in quick succession, leaving England reeling at 112/3 before Bairstow joined skipper Root.
As Bairstow was pacing his Innings steadily, picking the bad deliveries, building a partnership with Root, the latter was run out by Kohli's efforts, after scoring a composed and responsible 80(156). Eventually, Bairstow was dismissed in quick time by Umesh Yadav, after scoring a rapid 70(88).
While Ashwin struck thrice to dismiss the slowly settled Ben Stokes 21(41), Jos Butler and Stuart Broad, tailender Sam Curran stood firm on one end, scoring 24(67)*, as England ended Day 1 scoring 285/9 off 88 overs. Ravichandran Ashwin was the pick of the Indian bowlers as he ended with impressive figures of 4/60.
#INDvBAN - Rohit Sharma and Ravindra Jadeja makes it merry for India The 1st super four matches of the Asia Cup between India and Bangladesh began with India winning the toss and deciding to field first. Bangladesh began on a disastrous note with both the openers dismissed cheaply by Bhuvaneshwar Kumar and Bumrah.
- #INDvPAK #IndiavsPakistan - Rohit Sharma and men beat Pakistan comprehensively
- India beats Hong Kong by 22 runs in a Nail biter
- How far England is going to stretch their lead?
- Pujara promises to chase down any total
- Boxer Amit Panghal snatches a GOLD for India at Asian Games
- India takes honors on Day one of Fourth Test with England - Can Batsmen get a lead?
- #NeerajChopra who clinches Gold in Asian Games dedicate it to Vajpayee
- #ViratKohli dedicates Trent Bridge Victory to Kerala Flood Victims
- iNDIA just One Wicket Away from Historic Victory at Trent Bridge
- #KingKohli scores 23rd Century as India is smelling a Victory at Trent Bridge
- #IndvEng - India Pays Back England in Style as Hardik Pandya scalps his first fifer in Tests
- #INDvsENG - Kohli and Rahane help India to put a decent total on Day 1
- #ENGvIND - India's Winning Hopes rest on Virat Kohli as England end on a high
- #ENGvIND - Kohli Heroics take India to Commanding Position on Day 2
- #ENGvIND - Despite Dropped catches and missed easy chances India takes honours on Day 1