Washington sources reported that NASA is planning to send the first unmanned helicopter to Mars in its mission scheduled to launch in 2020, to test the viability and potential of heavier-than-air vehicles on the red planet. It was started in August 2013 as a technology development project at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), the Mars Helicopter had to prove that big things could come in small packages.
Meanwhile the result of the team's four years of design, testing and redesign weighs in at little less than 1.8 kilograms. Further its fuselage is about the size of a softball, and its twin, counter rotating blades will bite into the thin Martian atmosphere at almost 3,000 rotations per minute about 10 times the rate of a helicopter on Earth.
Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator for NASA's Science Mission
Directorate at the agency headquarters in Washington said "Exploring the
red planet with NASA's Mars Helicopter exemplifies a successful marriage of
science and technology innovation and is a unique opportunity to advance Mars
exploration for the future". Moreover Zurbuchen said "After the
Wright Brothers proved 117 years ago that powered, sustained, and controlled
flight was possible here on Earth, another group of American pioneers may prove
the same can be done on another world”.
ISRO successfully launched GSLV-Mk III on Wednesday Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) stated that the countdown had begun for the Wednesday evening launch of India's heaviest rocket GSLV-Mk III, carrying communication satellite GSAT-29 at the rocket port in Sriharikota. According to the Indian space agency standing at 43.4 metre tall and weighing 640 ton, the Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV-Mk III) had taken off at 5.08 pm on Wednesday.
- Chandrababu Naidu confident in winning in Telangana
- Muslims in Telangana state upset seeing attitude of political parties
- A new memoir titled "Becoming" by Michelle Obama out
- Bengaluru likely to receive rainfall on November 16-17 & 22-23
- Swiggy plans to deploy Women as delivery personnel across India
- Has AP government misused Tirumala Tirupathi temple funds?
- Sexual abuser arrested finally!
- Infosys founder supports Modi!
- Downfall of Rajapakse govt!
- Gaja reaches Chennai!
- SC to hear 49 Review Petitions in Sabarimala Temple case
- PM Narendra Modi is in Singapore for East Asia Summit
- Melania Trump explicitly Donald Trump to oust Mira Ricardel
- Will traffic be ensured safely during rallies & processions?
- Sonali Bandre thanked her Hubby on their wedding day