Kathmandu sources added that decades of commercial mountaineering have turned Mount Everest into the world's highest rubbish dump as an increasing number of big spending climbers pay little attention to the ugly footprint they leave behind. Fluorescent tents, discarded climbing equipment, empty gas canisters and even human excrement litter the well trodden route to the summit of the 8,848-metre (29,029-foot) peak.
Pemba Dorje Sherpa, who has summated Everest 18 times, told "The Mountain is carrying tonnes of waste. It is disgusting, an eyesore”. Meanwhile as the number of climbers on the mountain has soared at least 600 people have scaled the world's highest peak so far this year alone the problem has worsened.
Meanwhile, melting glaciers caused by global
warming are exposing trash that has accumulated on the mountain since Edmund Hillary
and Tenzing Norgay made the first successful summit 65 years ago. Further another
solution, believes Ang Tsering Sherpa, former president of the Nepal
Mountaineering Association, would be a dedicated rubbish collection team. Media
reports added and last month a 30 strong cleanup team retrieved 8.5 tonnes of
waste from the northern slopes.
136 people died after a ferry capsized on Lake Victoria, Tanzania Accordingly many are missing and it is feared that more than 200 people in total may have drowned. Rescue efforts resumed on Friday after being halted overnight. As per report the MV Nyerere ferry overturned near Ukara Island on its way from Bugorora. Meanwhile it is thought the overloaded vessel tipped over when crowds on board moved to one side as it docked.
- Karnataka CM Kumaraswamy called for a Revolt against BJP
- Balapur Laddu sets a new Record as it fetches Rs.16.6 Lakhs in Auction!
- TN Govt opened bookings for the online sale of imported sand at Thoothukudi port
- PM Narendra Modi catapulted many projects in Odisha & Chhattisgarh
- Is Chandrababu Naidu elder than PM Modi in politics?
- Will Chandrababu Naidu attend Court in Babli Case?
- India moving towards 5G: PM Modi
- "Facebook Dating" made available within social networking company's mobile app
- First Indian state to introduce Smart e-Public Distribution System (e-PDS)
- Pawan Kalyan to have 'Gelupu Rotte' to win upcoming general elections in AP
- Ajay Maken left for treatment abroad for his orthopedic ailment
- Trump participates in UNGA events & bilateral meetings from September 24-27
- Will Madras HC hear petitions challenging land acquisition in Chennai-Salem Project?
- BJP leader gets trolled!
- Kausalya consoles Amrutha Varshini!