Atlanta sources reported that in an election race keenly followed by the Indian-American community, Maryland state legislator Aruna Miller lost to multimillionaire David Trone in the Democratic primary for the vacant seat in the state’s 6th District. Meanwhile the loss foiled her attempt to become only the second Indian-American to be elected to the US House of Representatives after Pramila Jayapal of Washington State.
She said in a statement, after conceding victory to Trone “While we did not prevail, we did make a difference. We stood up to ensure a voice of diversity was part of the electoral process". She added "She is eager to work with the Democratic Party to fight back against Donald Trump this November". Moreover Trone, who reportedly spent over $10 million of his own money on his campaign, won a comfortable victory with 40.4% of votes over Miller who got 30.6%.
Miller added “Her political interest was sparked by
the Bush v Gore election in 2000, where the fate of our country was not
determined by the voters but rather by the Supreme Court. It was then she
realized that Democracy needed her. Not as a bystander or to cast a vote when
there’s an election and she needed to engage and empower others every
136 people died after a ferry capsized on Lake Victoria, Tanzania Accordingly many are missing and it is feared that more than 200 people in total may have drowned. Rescue efforts resumed on Friday after being halted overnight. As per report the MV Nyerere ferry overturned near Ukara Island on its way from Bugorora. Meanwhile it is thought the overloaded vessel tipped over when crowds on board moved to one side as it docked.
- Karnataka CM Kumaraswamy called for a Revolt against BJP
- Balapur Laddu sets a new Record as it fetches Rs.16.6 Lakhs in Auction!
- TN Govt opened bookings for the online sale of imported sand at Thoothukudi port
- PM Narendra Modi catapulted many projects in Odisha & Chhattisgarh
- Is Chandrababu Naidu elder than PM Modi in politics?
- Will Chandrababu Naidu attend Court in Babli Case?
- India moving towards 5G: PM Modi
- "Facebook Dating" made available within social networking company's mobile app
- First Indian state to introduce Smart e-Public Distribution System (e-PDS)
- Pawan Kalyan to have 'Gelupu Rotte' to win upcoming general elections in AP
- Ajay Maken left for treatment abroad for his orthopedic ailment
- Trump participates in UNGA events & bilateral meetings from September 24-27
- Will Madras HC hear petitions challenging land acquisition in Chennai-Salem Project?
- BJP leader gets trolled!
- Kausalya consoles Amrutha Varshini!