According to sources Google's public Wi-Fi project is aiming to capture 40 million new connected users in India by 2019, resulting into at least $20 billion being added to the country's GDP, a top company executive here on Wednesday. K. Suri, Director, Partnership, India, Next Billion Users, Google India, told reporters here that "India is a big market for the next billion users. Wi-Fi is a huge focus area and opportunity in terms of connecting these users".
Suri added while releasing a joint study by Google and global research firm Analysys Mason that public Wi-Fi could play a key role in driving ubiquitous connectivity and digital inclusion in India. Currently Google has partnered with RailTel and Indian Railways to offer public Wi-Fi in railway stations, covering 400 stations with about 7.6 million monthly active Wi-Fi users. The study showed that "Public Wi-Fi will connect 40 million new users to the Internet by 2019 and that would translate into tangible benefits to GDP, by around $20 billion between 2017-19 and at least $10 billion per annum thereafter”.
Moreover the report, titled "Accelerating
connectivity through public Wi-Fi that early lessons from the railway Wi-Fi
project," outlined an opportunity to develop a wider connectivity
ecosystem with public Wi-Fi as a key component. Ashwinder Sethi, Principal
Consultant, Analysys Mason said "By 2019, over 100 million users will
spend an extra $3 billion annually on mobile broadband and handsets because of
their experience of high-speed public Wi-Fi”.
MD, New VP of India Operations appointed by FB As per report Facebook on Monday announced it has appointed Ajit Mohan, former CEO of video streaming platform Hotstar, as Managing Director and Vice-President, Facebook India. Meanwhile set to join Facebook from early next year, Mohan will be responsible for driving Face book’s overall strategy and continued investment in India, reporting directly to the Menlo Park based headquarter and not Asia Pacific.
- Bengaluru to receive heavy rain this week
- Will Harish get more majority to KCR in the ensuing elections?
- TPCC Working President confident SB Congress winning in Telangana
- Mother of one of 7 convicts in Rajiv Gandhi assassination case met TN Governor
- Maoist killers identified!
- Telangana Governor follows new way in saving Fuel
- Case against Tamilisai soon!
- Hyderabad Metro Rail carries 85,000 Passengers daily
- Baba on moon? Truth or fake?
- Arputhammal gives petition to Governor!
- Rajinikanth to target November or December!
- TN targeted by Maoists?
- Gujarat based Pharma company Sterling Biotech involved in 5000 Crore Bank fraud
- DoT approached SC for Spectrum Dues
- Donald Trump has hit 12% of total US imports by 2018