Rameshwaram sources added that Less than three weeks after the new fishing season commenced in the south this year, the Sri Lankan Navy has struck again. Meanwhile as many as 12 Rameswaram fishermen were apprehended by a Sri Lankan Naval patrol who intercepted two mechanized boats fishing near Neduntheevu in the Palk Straits in the wee hours of Thursday for allegedly straying into their territorial waters.
Moreover a fisherman of Thangachimadam said the Sri Lankan Navy personnel allegedly jumped into the fishing boats of two Rameswaram fishermen N Devadoss and Francis, took 12 fishermen in the boats into custody and took them to northern Sri Lanka for inquiry along with their boats, a representative of fishermen's associations here , P R Senthilvel and P Loyola.
Furthermore they said this was the first major
arrest of Tamilnadu fishermen this year in six months, the last one being in
February. Recently the latest incident has shocked the entire fishing
fraternity as it has come just two days after the Union Agriculture minister Dr
Radha Mohan Singh at a consultative meeting on deep sea fishing with the
fishermen community here, had said that the problems arising from Sri Lankan
Naval harassment, attacks and indiscriminate arrests of Tamilnadu fishermen
will cease, the representatives pointed out, adding, it made people wonder
whether the voices of the Central and State governments was heard at all in
136 people died after a ferry capsized on Lake Victoria, Tanzania Accordingly many are missing and it is feared that more than 200 people in total may have drowned. Rescue efforts resumed on Friday after being halted overnight. As per report the MV Nyerere ferry overturned near Ukara Island on its way from Bugorora. Meanwhile it is thought the overloaded vessel tipped over when crowds on board moved to one side as it docked.
- Karnataka CM Kumaraswamy called for a Revolt against BJP
- Balapur Laddu sets a new Record as it fetches Rs.16.6 Lakhs in Auction!
- TN Govt opened bookings for the online sale of imported sand at Thoothukudi port
- PM Narendra Modi catapulted many projects in Odisha & Chhattisgarh
- Is Chandrababu Naidu elder than PM Modi in politics?
- Will Chandrababu Naidu attend Court in Babli Case?
- India moving towards 5G: PM Modi
- "Facebook Dating" made available within social networking company's mobile app
- First Indian state to introduce Smart e-Public Distribution System (e-PDS)
- Pawan Kalyan to have 'Gelupu Rotte' to win upcoming general elections in AP
- Ajay Maken left for treatment abroad for his orthopedic ailment
- Trump participates in UNGA events & bilateral meetings from September 24-27
- Will Madras HC hear petitions challenging land acquisition in Chennai-Salem Project?
- BJP leader gets trolled!
- Kausalya consoles Amrutha Varshini!