Bengaluru sources added that in a first, India born geophysicist Paramesh Banerjee is among the four shortlisted to head the Institute of Geophysics, a top scientific organization of China's Earthquake Administration (CEA). Meanwhile the other three candidates are Chinese. Banerjee, currently technical director of the Earth Observatory of Singapore (EOS) at Nanyang Technical University (NTU), told this correspondent in an email "Final result is not out yet, but will feel proud to be the first Indian in that position”.
Accordingly "Paramesh was one amongst the few who initiated GPS measurements in India and, during the 2004 Sumatra and Andaman earthquake, he was the one who proposed that the giant earthquakes could cause deformation at distances as far as 2,500 km away which could be captured by the GPS." Moreover he said that resources from Asian countries can be combined to create a Pan-Asian centre which will serve as a hub for technology transfer, seismological and geodetic data processing centre.
Reports added "It will also carry out advanced
geophysical projects like earthquake early warning system, seismic monitoring
network, airborne and other geophysical surveys for active fault mapping and
subsurface investigations." Moreover Banerjee, who has a commercial pilot
license, flew over Nepal after the 2015 earthquake to construct a 3-D digital
terrain map of the Himalayan faults. He said “His main objective is to build a
common platform that can help promote cooperation among Asian nations in
seismic research to better tackle earthquake related disasters”.
Madras HC orders for no flex boards for Jayalalitha's Birthday Reportedly ahead of Former Chief Minister and AIADMK supreme Jayalalitha’s birth anniversary, the Madras High Court on Wednesday refused to relax its ban on registered political parties installing flex boards, digital banners or placards on arterial roads in or any other roads in the State. Recently a Division Bench comprising of Justices M Sathyanarayanan and M Nirmal Kumar rejected
- From March 3, eateries no longer allowed to reuse cooking oil more than 3 times
- New deadline for commissioning Kerala's Vizinjam Port extended to October 2020
- COAI feels new regulations are vague to violate privacy of users
- Overall Vegetable prices in January declined 4.21%
- BJP to make alliance announcement soon: Piyush Goyal
- Priyanka Chopra, Nick had great time on Valentines Day
- Dewan Housing Finance shares slumped to an intraday low of Rs. 103.95
- Ooty Lake to be cleaned soon
- TN soldier's family and village saddened by death!
- #PulwamaTerroristAttack - Brave Father's inspiring quote after son's death in Pulwama!
- Suicide bomber was 11th class dropout!
- School girl murder mystery resolved!
- Air India flights to Iraq begins operations after 30 years
- Dhanush congratulated Sai Pallavi for beating her own record saying 200 Million
- Protest shutdown against terror attack affects life in Jammu