Bengaluru sources added that in a first, India born geophysicist Paramesh Banerjee is among the four shortlisted to head the Institute of Geophysics, a top scientific organization of China's Earthquake Administration (CEA). Meanwhile the other three candidates are Chinese. Banerjee, currently technical director of the Earth Observatory of Singapore (EOS) at Nanyang Technical University (NTU), told this correspondent in an email "Final result is not out yet, but will feel proud to be the first Indian in that position”.
Accordingly "Paramesh was one amongst the few who initiated GPS measurements in India and, during the 2004 Sumatra and Andaman earthquake, he was the one who proposed that the giant earthquakes could cause deformation at distances as far as 2,500 km away which could be captured by the GPS." Moreover he said that resources from Asian countries can be combined to create a Pan-Asian centre which will serve as a hub for technology transfer, seismological and geodetic data processing centre.
Reports added "It will also carry out advanced
geophysical projects like earthquake early warning system, seismic monitoring
network, airborne and other geophysical surveys for active fault mapping and
subsurface investigations." Moreover Banerjee, who has a commercial pilot
license, flew over Nepal after the 2015 earthquake to construct a 3-D digital
terrain map of the Himalayan faults. He said “His main objective is to build a
common platform that can help promote cooperation among Asian nations in
seismic research to better tackle earthquake related disasters”.
Incessant rain triggered flash floods & landslides in Northern India According to sources in the wake of heavy rain, the Punjab government has issued a red alert. Chief Principal Secretary to the Chief Minister, Suresh Kumar, during an emergency meeting said “All deputy commissioners are keeping a close tab over the current situation, and disaster control rooms have also been activated and hence all officials have been directed to remain at standby in view of the situation”.
- MD, New VP of India Operations appointed by FB
- Bengaluru to receive heavy rain this week
- Will Harish get more majority to KCR in the ensuing elections?
- TPCC Working President confident SB Congress winning in Telangana
- Mother of one of 7 convicts in Rajiv Gandhi assassination case met TN Governor
- Maoist killers identified!
- Telangana Governor follows new way in saving Fuel
- Case against Tamilisai soon!
- Hyderabad Metro Rail carries 85,000 Passengers daily
- Baba on moon? Truth or fake?
- Arputhammal gives petition to Governor!
- Rajinikanth to target November or December!
- TN targeted by Maoists?
- Gujarat based Pharma company Sterling Biotech involved in 5000 Crore Bank fraud
- DoT approached SC for Spectrum Dues