Bengaluru sources added that in a first, India born geophysicist Paramesh Banerjee is among the four shortlisted to head the Institute of Geophysics, a top scientific organization of China's Earthquake Administration (CEA). Meanwhile the other three candidates are Chinese. Banerjee, currently technical director of the Earth Observatory of Singapore (EOS) at Nanyang Technical University (NTU), told this correspondent in an email "Final result is not out yet, but will feel proud to be the first Indian in that position”.
Accordingly "Paramesh was one amongst the few who initiated GPS measurements in India and, during the 2004 Sumatra and Andaman earthquake, he was the one who proposed that the giant earthquakes could cause deformation at distances as far as 2,500 km away which could be captured by the GPS." Moreover he said that resources from Asian countries can be combined to create a Pan-Asian centre which will serve as a hub for technology transfer, seismological and geodetic data processing centre.
Reports added "It will also carry out advanced
geophysical projects like earthquake early warning system, seismic monitoring
network, airborne and other geophysical surveys for active fault mapping and
subsurface investigations." Moreover Banerjee, who has a commercial pilot
license, flew over Nepal after the 2015 earthquake to construct a 3-D digital
terrain map of the Himalayan faults. He said “His main objective is to build a
common platform that can help promote cooperation among Asian nations in
seismic research to better tackle earthquake related disasters”.
PM Modi felicitated winning teams of Singapore-India Hackathon Singapore sources reported that Prime Minister Narendra Modi today felicitated the six winning teams, including three from India, of the first India-Singapore Hackathon, a platform for the youth of the two countries to harness and showcase their innovations. Accordingly the top six teams, three each from India and Singapore, participated in a 36 hour Hackathon Grande Finale in Singapore.
- Social Activist Trupti Desai urged PM ensuring security for her visit to Sabarimala Temple
- Karunanidhi's Life Size Statue to be unveiled on December 16
- . Indian-American to replace Justice Brett Kavanaugh on DC Circuit Court of Appeals
- Gaja impacts throughout the state!
- Smriti Trolls DeepVeer!
- 13 year old dies in boxing contest!
- TN govt ready to face Gaja!
- Automated baggage check-in facility introduced for passengers in Bengaluru Airport
- Railway suspects passengers for missing Bed sheets & Towels in A/c Coaches
- KCR has No Loans, No Cars in his name
- Pawan Kalyans shocking comments on BJP
- Multi pronged strategy adopted by Telangana Cops to prevent Maoists threat
- Rahul Gandhi slams PM Modi & Anil Ambani in Rafael Deal
- Cyclone Gaja expected with more anticipation in Chennai
- Deepika-Ranveer MARRIED in Italy