Kalaignar M Karunanidhi was the first chief minister who fought and won the right to hoist the tricolor on national importance day Independence Day, and yesterday, after his death has been wrapped in the tricolor in his last journey to his memorial near Anna memorial at Marina. Kalaignar Karunanidhi had been the chief minister of Tamilnadu for five terms, and years ago, it was a practice for governors to hoist national flag on eve of Independence Day and republic day.
It was Kalaignar M Karunanidhi who had appealed for a change in this practice demanding hoisting of tricolor on Independence Day by state chief ministers and on republic day by governors. He had written a letter to the then prime minister Smt. Indira Gandhi, penning his demand, and after receiving the approval, became the first chief minister in the country to hoist the national flag on August 15, 1974.
Following his death yesterday,
Karunanidhi has received government honors and has been fittingly wrapped in
the tricolors during his final journey, and it has been a perfect way to honor
the person who earned the right for chief ministers to hoist national flag on Independence
Sabarimala Temple Police Officers instructed to follow new Dress Code As per report for the first time in Sabarimala, police officers have been instructed to follow a firm dress code while on duty at the temple. Officers have been asked to wear caps, boots and belts, with their shirts tucked in. Meanwhile they must also turn up clean shaven and this is to ensure that they follow a dress code like at any other protest site.
- Will Pawan Kalyan contest from Eluru Constituency?
- TN CM announced Rs. 10 lakhs for families of deceased hit by Cyclone Gaja
- California's deadliest wildfires soared to more than 600, Trump to make his visit
- Granddaughter of TDP founder & late Chief Minister NT Rama Rao get TDP ticket
- Will forecast come true for TRS & give KCR another chance to rule Telangana?
- TN govt against Gaja!
- Secret pregnancy revealed by actor!
- Post Gaja, there's another threat!
- Vedaranyam heavily impacted by Gaja!
- Chandrababu Naidu leaving no leaf unturned to take on Modi
- Arvind Kejriwal to campaign in Telangana for AAP candidates
- Wedding Photos of Deepika Padukone & Ranveer Singh leaked out
- Will KTR quit politics, if TRS lost Elections?
- Cyclone Gaja crossed Tamilnadu coast between Nagapattinam & nearby Vedaranniyam
- PM Modi felicitated winning teams of Singapore-India Hackathon