Kalaignar M Karunanidhi was the first chief minister who fought and won the right to hoist the tricolor on national importance day Independence Day, and yesterday, after his death has been wrapped in the tricolor in his last journey to his memorial near Anna memorial at Marina. Kalaignar Karunanidhi had been the chief minister of Tamilnadu for five terms, and years ago, it was a practice for governors to hoist national flag on eve of Independence Day and republic day.
It was Kalaignar M Karunanidhi who had appealed for a change in this practice demanding hoisting of tricolor on Independence Day by state chief ministers and on republic day by governors. He had written a letter to the then prime minister Smt. Indira Gandhi, penning his demand, and after receiving the approval, became the first chief minister in the country to hoist the national flag on August 15, 1974.
Following his death yesterday,
Karunanidhi has received government honors and has been fittingly wrapped in
the tricolors during his final journey, and it has been a perfect way to honor
the person who earned the right for chief ministers to hoist national flag on Independence
HD Kumaraswamy meets 3,000 people every week during 'Janata Darshan' According to sources Karnataka Chief Minister H.D. Kumaraswamy would meet the public at his home office in the city centre only once in a month, instead every week. An official said on Thursday "Doctors have advised him to meet people once a month”. Meanwhile Kumaraswamy, 58, who underwent
- Muslims across 31 districts of Telangana must get representation in 2018 Elections
- TN Dr. Ambedkar Law University to remove unqualified teaching staff & other staff
- Will Tamilnadu Govt make Helmet compulsory?
- Cyclone Alert over west-central Bay of Bengal: IMD
- Why BJP spoiled alliance between TDP and TRS?
- Pakistan ready to discuss terrorism, Imran Khan pens PM Modi
- Bilateral dialogue between Washington & Pyongyang stalled on how to move denuclearization process
- Signing up for the credit line to receive Instant access on Flipkart
- Train Services stopped at Kerala, Bengaluru & Coastal Karnataka resumes
- Mis-happening at Jet Airways focus Mumbai to Jaipur
- Police tightens grip on H Raja!
- Karunas blackmails police!
- HAL former chief on Rafel controversy!
- Coimbatore college Managing Director's Cheap act!
- AICC names leaders for 10 election related committees