Chennai sources added that Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) President M Karunanidhi breathed his last on Tuesday in a Chennai hospital after a short illness. He was 94. Even though best known as the political rival to J Jayalalitha, Muthuvel Karunanidhi was a man with several feathers in his cap. Karunanidhi's political career spanned eight decades and he contested 12 Assembly elections, losing none. Accordingly a heavyweight of the Dravidian politics, he served the state five times as its CM. he was born on 3 June 1924 in Nagapattinam district of erstwhile Madras Presidency, Karunanidhi was an admirer of activist Periyar, whose socialist ideology became the bedrock of his political ground.
Moreover he dropped out of school but actively participated in the anti-Hindi agitations in 1938. Furthermore starting off as a screenwriter in the Tamil film industry in 1944, he blended stories with his socialist and rationalist ideals of the Dravidian movement and the controversial film Parasakthi, released in 1952, is one such example. Meanwhile the DMK, headed by Karunanidhi, was a part of the Atal Bihari Vajpayee led National Democratic Alliance government in 1999, the Tamil heavyweight drifted to the Congress party for 2004 Lok Sabha elections, but the meteoric rise of the scriptwriter turned politician on the Indian political horizon was clouded too, albeit occasionally.
Moreover he was indicted by the Sarkaria Commission
for corruption in the Veeranam project, which was to deliver water to parched
Chennai. Meanwhile when Jayalalitha passed away in 2016, Karunanidhi,
putting political rivalry aside, penned a condolence message for his arch rival
and he wrote "As far as the parties are concerned, there was difference in
opinion, but nobody can deny that Jayalalitha acted courageously for the
welfare of her party." Furthermore today, as thousands of his followers
pour in to bid their leader goodbye, Karunanidhi, even in death, has shown what
it means to be a larger than life politician, who, despite being confined to a
wheelchair towards the end of his life, without whom a general or an Assembly
election would be hard to imagine.
Hyderabad Police booked 12 Websites for publishing defamatory article Hyderabad sources made a statement that after taking swift action on websites that posted news of a rumored affair between film actor Prabhas and Y.S. Sharmila, sister of YSRCP chief Y.S Jaganmohan Reddy, the Hyderabad Police sent notices to 12 websites which have published such defamatory articles and videos.
- GHMC shelving its plan to revise property tax rates
- Again old rupee notes in Chennai!
- World's first genetically modified child!
- Edappadi checks food quality!
- Will DMK intervene in Mekedatu project?
- Prakash Raj to contest election as an Independent from Bengaluru-Central constituency
- Religion politics have not fared well in the South
- Paytm's New Feature adds benefit to Partner Merchants
- Deepika Padukone titled World's Most Beautiful Bride
- Amazon's New Year Sale delivery makes Record!!!
- Lord Vishnu statue carved from a monolithic block reached Singarapettai
- Jio New Year Offer recharges done between December 28, 2018, to January 31, 2019
- 437 CCTV Cameras installed in Chennai, Kilpauk Jurisdiction
- High Court Justice orders 37 ISPs to block 12,000 Websites
- Trump cancelled his own participation in Davos, citing row over his proposed wall