According to sources there has been no respite for residents in Idukki one of the worst-hit districts in Kerala, with continuous rains overnight. Meanwhile the water levels at Cheruthoni dam have touched 2401 feet, just 2 feet short of its full reservoir level and as of Friday morning, three shutters of the dam have been raised, with the CMO Kerala Twitter handle stating that 125 cusecs of water being discharged.
Moreover rains show no signs of letting up, and water levels in the dam continue to rise, more shutters may be opened. Presently authorities have also imposed a ban on the movement of heavy goods vehicles and tourist vehicles in the high ranges of Idukki. As per report for the first time in 26 years, one shutter of the dam was opened on Thursday as water levels rose to nearly 2,399 feet in the reservoir, just 4 feet below its full capacity.
Further Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi
Vijayan on Thursday night put out a statement saying that he had
spoken to Prime Minister Narendra Modi regarding the situation in the state. Meanwhile
Pinarayi Vijayan also said that he had called up his counterpart in Karnataka,
HD Kumaraswamy, to enquire about the situation in Karnataka, as parts of the
state were also hit by rains. Vijayan said “Kumaraswamy has said that the
Karnataka government had opened the shutters in the Kabini River to allow the
water from Banasura dam in Wayanad to be released”.
136 people died after a ferry capsized on Lake Victoria, Tanzania Accordingly many are missing and it is feared that more than 200 people in total may have drowned. Rescue efforts resumed on Friday after being halted overnight. As per report the MV Nyerere ferry overturned near Ukara Island on its way from Bugorora. Meanwhile it is thought the overloaded vessel tipped over when crowds on board moved to one side as it docked.
- Karnataka CM Kumaraswamy called for a Revolt against BJP
- Balapur Laddu sets a new Record as it fetches Rs.16.6 Lakhs in Auction!
- TN Govt opened bookings for the online sale of imported sand at Thoothukudi port
- PM Narendra Modi catapulted many projects in Odisha & Chhattisgarh
- Is Chandrababu Naidu elder than PM Modi in politics?
- Will Chandrababu Naidu attend Court in Babli Case?
- India moving towards 5G: PM Modi
- "Facebook Dating" made available within social networking company's mobile app
- First Indian state to introduce Smart e-Public Distribution System (e-PDS)
- Pawan Kalyan to have 'Gelupu Rotte' to win upcoming general elections in AP
- Ajay Maken left for treatment abroad for his orthopedic ailment
- Trump participates in UNGA events & bilateral meetings from September 24-27
- Will Madras HC hear petitions challenging land acquisition in Chennai-Salem Project?
- BJP leader gets trolled!
- Kausalya consoles Amrutha Varshini!