Thoothukudi sources reported that Tamilnadu government rejected a suo motu groundwater analysis conducted by the Union Ministry of Water Resources in Thoothukudi district, where the Sterlite copper smelter plant is located. As per report the study which was conducted without the knowledge of the state government, has been slammed by Tamilnadu as “vague and unscientific”.
Meanwhile the Ministry of Water Resources had instructed to the Central Ground Water Board to conduct a study on September 5, 2018. Accordingly the concluding paragraph of the Centre’s study states, “It is to mention that the investigation team couldn’t enter into the premises of M/s. Sterlite Copper Industry for collection of representative samples from inside and outside of industry; because district authorities sealed the Sterlite Copper Plant following the Governments order to close down the plant permanently.”
Furthermore in a strongly worded letter to the
Union Ministry, Chief Secretary Girija Vaidyanathan hit back, saying the study
was both inappropriate and unwarranted. Moreover, the letter alleges that the
report was commissioned to “prejudice the Government of Tamilnadu and the
TNPCB” in cases pending before the Courts. Finally it also stated that such a
report was likely to upset the normalcy that has been restored in Thoothukudi.
136 people died after a ferry capsized on Lake Victoria, Tanzania Accordingly many are missing and it is feared that more than 200 people in total may have drowned. Rescue efforts resumed on Friday after being halted overnight. As per report the MV Nyerere ferry overturned near Ukara Island on its way from Bugorora. Meanwhile it is thought the overloaded vessel tipped over when crowds on board moved to one side as it docked.
- Karnataka CM Kumaraswamy called for a Revolt against BJP
- Balapur Laddu sets a new Record as it fetches Rs.16.6 Lakhs in Auction!
- TN Govt opened bookings for the online sale of imported sand at Thoothukudi port
- PM Narendra Modi catapulted many projects in Odisha & Chhattisgarh
- Is Chandrababu Naidu elder than PM Modi in politics?
- Will Chandrababu Naidu attend Court in Babli Case?
- India moving towards 5G: PM Modi
- "Facebook Dating" made available within social networking company's mobile app
- First Indian state to introduce Smart e-Public Distribution System (e-PDS)
- Pawan Kalyan to have 'Gelupu Rotte' to win upcoming general elections in AP
- Ajay Maken left for treatment abroad for his orthopedic ailment
- Trump participates in UNGA events & bilateral meetings from September 24-27
- Will Madras HC hear petitions challenging land acquisition in Chennai-Salem Project?
- BJP leader gets trolled!
- Kausalya consoles Amrutha Varshini!