Thoothukudi sources reported that Tamilnadu government rejected a suo motu groundwater analysis conducted by the Union Ministry of Water Resources in Thoothukudi district, where the Sterlite copper smelter plant is located. As per report the study which was conducted without the knowledge of the state government, has been slammed by Tamilnadu as “vague and unscientific”.
Meanwhile the Ministry of Water Resources had instructed to the Central Ground Water Board to conduct a study on September 5, 2018. Accordingly the concluding paragraph of the Centre’s study states, “It is to mention that the investigation team couldn’t enter into the premises of M/s. Sterlite Copper Industry for collection of representative samples from inside and outside of industry; because district authorities sealed the Sterlite Copper Plant following the Governments order to close down the plant permanently.”
Furthermore in a strongly worded letter to the
Union Ministry, Chief Secretary Girija Vaidyanathan hit back, saying the study
was both inappropriate and unwarranted. Moreover, the letter alleges that the
report was commissioned to “prejudice the Government of Tamilnadu and the
TNPCB” in cases pending before the Courts. Finally it also stated that such a
report was likely to upset the normalcy that has been restored in Thoothukudi.
DMK Chief MK Stalin to attend Mamata Banerjee's Party meet on January 19 Chennai sources made a statement that Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) president MK Stalin will participate in the meeting of opposition parties called by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee in Kolkata on January 19. Reports added MK Stalin had decided to participate in the meeting which is been organized by Mamata Banerjee later this weekend.
- Low cost Airline Scoot to adds 3 new South Indian cities
- Telangana new Assembly session begins with new Speaker
- Dinakaran suspects Edappadi Palanisamy!
- Viswasam receives police appreciation!
- Ajith fan dies when seeing movie!
- Chennai kid is youngest grandmaster!
- New I-T return filling system be developed by Infosys
- TN Police Department issued instructions to create WhatsApp group for every police station
- PM Narendra Modi inaugurated Vibrant Gujarat Global Trade Show in Gandhinagar
- PM Modi may keep door open, but no party is prepared to go inside in Tamilnadu
- What will be Pawan's stand at national level?
- West Zone Party Office opened by Kamal Hassan in Pollachi
- Trump nominated three Indian Americans to key administration positions
- Nationwide probe launched to nab main perpetrators in QNet scam
- Indian Railways linked its locomotives via ISRO satellites